Eric's Boards

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

EricW

Post by EricW »

I hope not. I think I'm done anyway.
Last edited by EricW on Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Yes, cool down. Go down to your workshop and shoot some nails. Do you have a nail gun?
How is your progress anyway?
Last edited by OAC on Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
EricW

Post by EricW »

Yeah, I took a 16d in the hand once. Hurt like hell.
OAC

Post by OAC »

"If you aim at nothing, you always gonna hit it" - Butch Harmon (Tiger's former coach)
EricW

Post by EricW »

OAC wrote:How is your progress anyway?
Haven't done much the last few days. Going to start building a torsion box to assemble my forms and do layups on.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

EricW wrote:I think I've had enough. I don't mind, even enjoy people disagreeing with me or debating a certain method of construction or whatever. I take issue when someone calls me stupid. And that "stupid tax" comment qualifies. It seems pretty damn arrogant. You make it sound like I have no intelligence or experience in life.

Again, your example doesn't work. It assumes I have some super narrow core in the middle. What point are you trying to prove anyway? That my board will be weak or it won't be "as strong" as a flat blank? Are you just trying to win?
He's a 15 year old that hasn't learned how to communicate.

a.badner, you quote my "imo" and then proceed to do exactly what you accuse me of doing in the past.

grow up a little, please
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

EricW wrote:I take issue when someone calls me stupid. And that "stupid tax" comment qualifies. It seems pretty damn arrogant. You make it sound like I have no intelligence or experience in life.
here's one of your posts from my journal. one of your first post on ski builders actually. im not calling you stupid. im just using your terms. cutting out the fibers will make it too soft and there fore you will have to buy more glass glass and epoxy costing you more.
EricW from 15 year old making a ski press wrote: I'm being patient, saving my money and biding my time. Why? Because I've gone face first into too many things that have cost me too much money or pain. I call this the "stupid tax" and that tax is indeed high.

and this so called "tax" is what i was referring to.

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... &start=165

doughboyshredder wrote:
He's a 15 year old that hasn't learned how to communicate.

a.badner, you quote my "imo" and then proceed to do exactly what you accuse me of doing in the past.
haha the imo i was joking about. and i was just adding it to make mr. eric w understand that i dont want trouble. nor am i telling to not to do what he wanted to. thats the difference. :)

and the communication part. completely true. im not going to deny it.

I'm being patient, saving my money and biding my time. Why? Because I've gone face first into too many things that have cost me too much money or pain. I call this the "stupid tax" and that tax is indeed high.

and oac. :D
ha ha. e-fight. now take out your mouses, keyboards and duel to the death. ha ha.
EricW

Post by EricW »

I knew the reference. I use it when referring to experience that didn't work out very well. You don't have that experience so it's insulting. If you were 30 or had been building boards for years, perhaps it wouldn't be.

Truthfully, $20 extra, if that, on a prototype board doesn't come close to qualifying as part of the "stupid tax".
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

OAC wrote:e-fight! :D
LOL, good one! :D

Since I have 2 cents laying around I guess I'll toss it in... As for cutting in the camber, steam bending it in or forcing it in through pressing, I think it borders on minutia. I hardly think the avg skier/boarder could tell the difference. So what about durability? Is it worth going the extra effort? maybe... Will cutting the camber into the core make it softer? Maybe, so make the core an extra 1mm thick to counter to potential soft side effect if need be. But perhaps this is a good way to soften a ski too, if that's what you're looking for. No one seems to talk about the fact that profiling the ski is cutting into the fibers. Maybe we should all be using 2mm veneers for laying up the core. Some folks actually do that, it's in a post here some where.

I like experimenting, it's what makes it fun. Some times it works, some times not. Go back and read some of the early posts. They are great! And full of trial and error.

Ok, maybe this was a nickels worth.... I say "Build On!"
doughboyshredder

Coiler also profiles the core on the bottom along with the camber, so the full length fibers are on the top of the core.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

doughboyshredder wrote:Coiler also profiles the core on the bottom along with the camber, so the full length fibers are on the top of the core.
ah ha! Debunking the entire argument.

There are so many variables in this process. I try and keep it simple.
doughboyshredder

I really see no benefit to how he does his cores. He uses a router bridge and then hand sands them after checking them with a caliper. His boards do win races, but his techniques leave a lot to be desired imo.
EricW

Post by EricW »

He's old school. I like it.
leboeuf

Post by leboeuf »

I think being able to try techniques that would be unfeasible for most commercial manufacturers is the biggest draw for diy skis.

There's waayyy too many factors involved to say (without A LOT of CAD) how a cambered core will react, we can really only speculate.

In the spirit of this and any other diy forum, go for it man!
Just let us know the results.... :D
EricW

Post by EricW »

So, I've put actual board building on hold for now, while I build the thing that will build my boards. A MechMate will be my end all be all of CNC routers. I can't foresee ever needing anything bigger than that. I figure it will cut up to 3 cores at a time at a reasonable clip with crazy precision. They cost a fair bit to build but I'm hoping it'll come in under $3500 and I can upgrade electronics as I go. I'm not very hopeful of that as the average seems to be in the $7000 range.

Once it's built I may offer a core blank/profiling/template service. That's still a long way off so I'm probably putting the cart before the horse here.

For anyone looking at doing some 3d modeling of their cores, which you need to cut with a cnc, check out Scetchup from Google. It's definitely awesome. For the free version you'll to find a plugin that can make it export .dxf and .stl files to make it useful. DXF files are minefields of compatibility issues so I like .stl so far.

The plugin can be found here

Of course what's the point without some pics!