OAC 2010/11

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

OAC

Post by OAC »

The engineering department is working on it... ;) (But I haven't seen any plans yet)
sammer

Post by sammer »

Is that the fiberglass and the topsheet?
That is a new one on me, I would think you could get the glass to stick to the wood without any difficulties.
I usually run the belt sander with 60 grit over my cores to rough them up a bit after the router.
But I always thought I was just being anal.
Do you wet out your glass in the layup or separately?
Did you spread epoxy on the core before laying in the glass?
Weird, just plain weird!

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
OAC

Post by OAC »

Yes, it's both topsheet and the fiberglass. And yes I wet out the FG and spread the epoxy on the wood core. The odd thing is that this build was the one I was the most accurate ever!
What bothers me most is that it comes of so easy!

I will definitely rough up the core on the next build!
When I recap the process I remember that the blades in the planer was worn out and more or less "smoothed" the surface on the core rather than cut it. The blades are changed!
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

maybe the dull blades somehow closed the pores of the wood so the epoxy couldn't soak into the wood like it usually does.

btw, can't remember if i already asked you that, but are you using a regular uhmw topsheet on top of your paper graphics? and what kind of paper are you using?
OAC

Post by OAC »

Yes, you're right. The surface was really "blank" when recall. No pores there! :)

It's just regular printer paper, on a roll. The last epoxi layer is mixed with white paste. I know what you think now, but NO that's not the issue with the delam. :) (It has been tested)
The last finish is 2-comp lacquer.

FYI: The base is the one from your roll. And it was reported good glide and no other issue. No delam on that side.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

i guess the lack of pores could be the culprit here...but i'm no expert ;)

the paper question was just out of interest. since i also use paper and i couldn't get regular topsheet to bond, i was wondering how you achieve that glossy finish ;)

glad the base works well! maybe you could post a photo of the base...i haven't seen it on a finished ski yet. it'd be interesting to see how transparent it actually is.
OAC

Post by OAC »

The klarlack: http://shop.r-g.de/Farben-Lacke/Basco-L ... nzend.html

Strong as h-l! Wear a mask with all protection levels! and good ventilation!

I will take a picture ater today.
fa

Post by fa »

OAC wrote:
Vinman wrote:bad epoxy mix ratio?
No (not this time :) ..it has happened though)
I think MM is right, I will abrade the core on the next build!
...and the mechanic/pneumatic press build comes closer also..
never seen anything like that before
you've bagged quite a few pairs before without any wood-glass delam
I d guess heat is your no1 suspect, as this is the last ingredient added to your tested recipe
whats your bagging schedule? breather, bleeder, peel-ply etc?
OAC

Post by OAC »

The main suspect is the planer knives. When I planed the core, which always happens on the "upside" of the core, I used dull knives/blades. This made the pores of the wood to be forced down instead of up. And probably alot of dust and dirt was rubbed in to the surface.

I made a pair before these with heat and they stick together...still.
carnold

Post by carnold »

Hi. I've got some thoughts from my woody background. With timber we are taught that the best surface to bond to is a cleanly cut unabraded surface. The logic goes something like this. A surface prepared with a sharp edge cutting tool, like a chisel or planner, has excellent surface integrity - undamaged wood fibres, clear open pores and an unoxidised surface.
Therefore the worst possible surface to bond to is an abraded surface that has being exposed to the air for a long time. The problem with sanding the surface comes from the tendency of the sanding medium to partial remove long timber fibres leaving the surface a mess of partial unattached fibres that prevent the adhesive reaching the undamaged timber. These fibres then break free when a load is applied to the bond causing the whole join to fail.
I'd assume that a blunt planner creates a similar problem in that the surface of the timber is crushed reducing its ability to absorb the adhesive and then breaking away once a load is applied.
Having said that when I've used UHMWPE side walls I have abraded these once attached and profiled, effectively sanding the core along a 80ish mm strip on each side.
For my money the best bet is to use a sharp planner/router or if you must sand use the coarsest paper you can without wrecking the core and don't store you cores for long.
Chris
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Is there still epoxy on the wood? Or did all of the epoxy come off leaving a bare wood surface?
OAC

Post by OAC »

doughboyshredder wrote:Is there still epoxy on the wood? Or did all of the epoxy come off leaving a bare wood surface?
Very little (first question), Most of the epoxy followed the FG.

@carnold: I will definitely put your text in my book of ski building! Thanks!
I will take care of my planer blades.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Great advice!!!

Different woods appear to bond better than others - grain orientation appears to be an issue. VDS improves the bond along the edge.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

doh
Last edited by Richuk on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
carnold

Post by carnold »

Book! Oh yeah bring it on. Can I order one now? :D