OAC 2010/11

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

OAC

OAC 2010/11

Post by OAC »

Warm up post!
Time to log this years models.
"B 52's!" 185 cm, 140 - 110 - 130, r=26 m
"Le Tigre!" 170 cm, 130 - 80 - 100, r=17 m

First:
1. Workshop updates. New machinery!

Tablesaw/table router/ jointer/ planer worth the name! I was so sick of all the cheap tools and machinery, not delivering!

Ski building is not about spending money!
But if the opportunity appears, buy proper tools! I've said it before and say it again.

2. Cores

It's poplar-maple-poplar-maple-poplar-maple-poplar......

This log made four cores!

1 pair for "B 52's" (9 mm)
1 pair for "Le Tigre" (10 mm)

Next step, profiling the cores!
Stay tuned!

Cheers
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Nice to see some action from the work shop. A handful of very good power tools will go a long way and last many years.
carnold

Post by carnold »

Hi. Those little Luna jointer/thicknessers are great. We have one at school that has 20 years work on it and still going strong. C.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Yes. I'm really happy about it!
falls

Post by falls »

Good names too!
Looks like you are going fat this year after the skinnier skis last year.
Did you resaw that core stack by turning it 90 degrees and passing it past the bandsaw?
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
OAC

Post by OAC »

Falls. Yes about the 90 deg. I forgot to take pics... I got 4 cors out of 54 mm (2 1/8")
New personal best! :)
Yes, since my test arena seems to be Chamonix I will give the fat skis a try. Looks fun!

I've been lazy this weekend...no progress...
redbull

Post by redbull »

Nice job on the cores!
We're looking into bandsaws. What horsepower is your saw / what would you recommend for 6" maple? Also blade. Something like a 1/2" 3 TPI?
Thanks
OAC

Post by OAC »

Thanks.
I use an Elu (DeWalt nowadays) it's a 750W (~1 hp). It has an opening of almost 8" (20 cm).
I use a 1/2" 4 TPI blade. It's alright and doesn't take that long time. I didn't have any trouble with my maple/poplar log. Also 6".
But sadly it has a aluminium table. This is no good if you want to clamp something to the table. (see pic 2)
On my bandsaw-wish-list there is a iron table. And I wouldn't hesitate to step up to next level. My model is definitely the smallest you should have for a proper result. Someone will probably disagree, but this is my opinion.

Some pics:
A steady fence is a must!

Cheers
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

for resawing "the bigger the better" is the way to go.
we recently bought a bandsaw with 800mm wheel diameter, which allows us to use a special resawing blade thats 1mm thick, 32mm wide and has 1.3tpi hook teeth (less tpi give you a pretty rough finish not suited for veneer resawing, but less teeth mean the blade cuts through the wood a lot better since it can carry more material with one tooth).

with that blade we cut through a 31cm thick block of paulownia/beech in a couple of seconds!
OAC

Post by OAC »

Yes, I saw one of those on an auction site the other day, with a automatic feeder! The economy is not there right now... but if!
shopvac

Post by shopvac »

This technology seems to be the way to profile if you have the right tools and fence setup. Thanks for the photos and info.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

@OAC: haha, nope no autofeeder. what we have is a 500kg steel monster from the 1960ies. sniped it on a local classified for about 300 Eur!

@shopvac: i wouldn't do the profiling with our bandsaw. yes, it is pretty accurate indeed, but setting up the fence that well is a pain in the you know where ;)
and with a smaller saw and smaller blades you can get blade drift, which would pretty much ruin the process.

btw, OAC do you see any blade drift on your saw?
OAC

Post by OAC »

chrismp wrote:
btw, OAC do you see any blade drift on your saw?
Not much actually. I made all the pre adjustments suggested by the manual.
I also used a brand new blade.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I've often thought about using a planer crib basically on its side, with a couple of rollers setup near the bandsaw blade to push the core into the crib (just as a planer crib in a planer works). Being able to cut a core in one pass on the bandsaw sounds very inviting!

My band saw is a smallish Grizzly 14", but I think it might be up for the task. I just need to do some test cuts and see what happens.

Looks like a great start to some news skis OAC! :D
OAC

Post by OAC »

twizzstyle wrote:I've often thought about using a planer crib basically on its side, with a couple of rollers setup near the bandsaw blade to push the core into the crib (just as a planer crib in a planer works). Being able to cut a core in one pass on the bandsaw sounds very inviting!
I've been thinking alot how to do that. Haven't solved it yet. I have a couple of pictures in my head, but they wont come out.
Didn't we have a discussion about this earlier this year? The "coremaster 3000!"
The first who solve and build it win a price! :D