A new press is born

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

doughboyshredder wrote: This was in line for ch. 2 at alpy, which is already a seething mass of frustration. I have never been in or seen more near fist fights than in that line.

For those that don't know, it's a slow double that accesses the best steepest terrain in North America. Lines on weekend pow days can easily stretch in to the forty five minute realm.
We don't even bother with alpy on weekends, it gets stupid. Tuesday's are where it's at, nobody up there, and they're closed monday so you get an extra day of fresh snow to play with :)

I'm happy to see you say Alpy is the best steepest terrain in north america, I'm so sick of people giving me the Snoqualmie-bashing talk every time I mention I get a seasons pass there :( (off thread topic, sorry)
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

twizzstyle wrote:
doughboyshredder wrote: This was in line for ch. 2 at alpy, which is already a seething mass of frustration. I have never been in or seen more near fist fights than in that line.

For those that don't know, it's a slow double that accesses the best steepest terrain in North America. Lines on weekend pow days can easily stretch in to the forty five minute realm.
We don't even bother with alpy on weekends, it gets stupid. Tuesday's are where it's at, nobody up there, and they're closed monday so you get an extra day of fresh snow to play with :)

I'm happy to see you say Alpy is the best steepest terrain in north america, I'm so sick of people giving me the Snoqualmie-bashing talk every time I mention I get a seasons pass there :( (off thread topic, sorry)
Super Tuesdays aren't what they used to be though. I remember many Tuesdays with 20 plus inches of accumulation and nobody, I mean nobody, there. 2 people every 10-15 chairs. Wax nostalgic. Really, terrain wise, nothing compares to Chair 2. It is true mini golf, but the technical steeps are unrivaled anywhere in North America. I've heard many visitors in the SC saying WTF?

Weekends now are one or two runs and then gone to the BC. Either sled access or split access. Looking forward to Hyak going again as well. For the most part though, I can't do Alpy on weekends. First chair, and then I'm out, unless it's so good that I just have to try one more lap.

/thread hijack
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

My first Coda graphic board. Coda turned the graphic around in a matter of days. The board is a early rise tip/tail as drawn earlier in this post except I followed DBS advice and reduced the camber to 5mm. Cant wait to give it a ride!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Real professional looking! Great looking graphics!
doughboyshredder

dude, that looks really good.

Looks like your rockered sections are flat? Same way I'm doing it. I think Surface skis was the first to do it that way. Love it.

Did you intend the graphic to cut off on the tip like that?

Remember with sublimation the graphic shrinks 10-15%
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Damn it Doughboy! I was hoping no one would notice. ;) I thought I lined it up correctly but it must have shifted in the press. If its not one thing its another! Funny thing is the best way to learn is to screw it up, then its ingrained in my head to double and triple check next time. I did do flat tip/tails. I am very excited to test this board next week. I have never rode a decambered tip/tail and a shortened camber. I also added some carbon under the bindings and 2 strips lengthwise.
doughboyshredder

centerlines on your cassette sheet and centerlines on your graphic help out a ton.

I didn't take the time to do centerlines on that last board and the graphic was off a hair. Frustrating.

I think you're going to absolutely love your board. I suggest detuning at the normal contact points and at the rocker points.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Your just a hairs breath away from a perfect job ;) Looking forward to the trip report!
COsurfer

Tigerblood

Post by COsurfer »

I decided to do one last end of the season board. In light of Charlie Sheen I like to call this the "tiger blood" board. The veneer is a tiger wood and it came out Sa-weet! The board specs are 161, 2.5/7/2.5, early rise tip tail, poplar and oak core for some stiffness. No mistakes on this board and I am super stoked.
ImageImage
ImageImage
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Did you book match the veneer yourself or did it come that way. Looks great!
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

OMG!
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Thanks guys! I did book match it myself. It was very easy. The guy at the veneer store showed me how to do it. I start at one end and use the blue masking tape to pull the edges together and go down the seam. I then flip the veneer and use this brown tape I bought from the veener store. You wet the veneer and the tape it dries and creates a strong sealed seam. You then take off the blue tape and use that side as your exposed face.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Beautiful! How did you get the epoxy to shine without pinholes...and, where do the bindings go haha, kidding. Seriously, about those pinholes...did you pre-preg the veneer?
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

I got lucky and didn't have many pinholes. Before the press I took my palm sander and sanded down the top aluminum sheet to make sure I had a smooth surface. During the layup I used mold release on the aluminum and made sure to completely wet out the veneer but did scrape it clean before pressing. After the press I did a fair amount of sanding to get the pinholes that I had. I started with 80 grit and worked down to a 220 grit. Some spots were a pain so I hand sanded a few areas. I did not prepreg the veneer. I don't think that would work.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Interesting. I'm actually thinking about pre-resining the topsheets between 2 glass pieces under vacuum and then just application taping the tops before they go into the press. Have you tried that?
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".