A new press is born

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Yes, I got 2 blankets from Hi Heat. I burned the first one so they are redesigning a blanket for me that is more durable. Once I receive it I will post what changes they made.
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Update: I have completed three boards:

From left to right: 1st board: 161, 13mm camber. Second board: 161, 5mm camber, 5mm rocker, 5mm camber. Third board: 161cm, 6mm rocker in the middle, 3mm camber each side under inserts, raised tip/tail. It appears the board has settled and tip/tail have dropped. I am going to have to revise my mold for a larger tip/tail rise to account for the weight of the board.
I am hoping to test these out next week. Snow has been great here just life seems to push snowboarding time to the back of the line!

To follow up on the topsheet over wood veneer issue from above. I used dark wood and crown topsheet. Small bubbles are noticeable. I think the lighter wood hides the bubbles. Image

WTF! I have to stop building boards for a week or so because I have developed a nasty fiberglass rash on both my wrists and down my arm and my face. I use safety glasses, mask, and long sleeve shirts but it’s not enough. I am going to buy one of those NASA space suits to cut and sand fiberglass. Image
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

COsurfer wrote:

WTF! I have to stop building boards for a week or so because I have developed a nasty fiberglass rash on both my wrists and down my arm and my face. I use safety glasses, mask, and long sleeve shirts but it’s not enough. I am going to buy one of those NASA space suits to cut and sand fiberglass.
You need baby powder it will stop irritation when you playing with fiberglass
sammer

Post by sammer »

Boards look great.
To stop the fiberglass dust from getting to my wrists I wear a disposable polypro coverall and tape it to my nitrile glove with blue painters tape.
Although they get pretty chewed up peeling off the tape I usually get 3 or 4 uses out of a pair of coveralls.
They do get pretty sweaty (both the gloves and the coveys)

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Introducing the carbo 3000: Full 11.8 oz traixial carbon fiber above and below the core. Super thin 5mm core with 2mm tip/tail. No top sheet. First attempt at a base design. The top still needs sanding and protective coats. This board is super light, I cant wait to test it out!

The logo came out pretty good except for a few small blemishes, oh and one big one, my logo is backwards! I cut it from the top and didnt realize it was backwards on the bottom, DOH!
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

COsurfer wrote:Introducing the carbo 3000: Full 11.8 oz traixial carbon fiber above and below the core. Super thin 5mm core with 2mm tip/tail. No top sheet. First attempt at a base design. The top still needs sanding and protective coats. This board is super light, I cant wait to test it out!

The logo came out pretty good except for a few small blemishes, oh and one big one, my logo is backwards! I cut it from the top and didnt realize it was backwards on the bottom, DOH!
Looks mighty nice. at 5 mm is it a noodle?

What's the makeup of the fibers? I.E. what amount in 0 versus 45 and -45?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Nice board! Where did you get the triaxial carbon fiber?
EricW

Post by EricW »

good stuff.
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Thanks DBS, It has more flex then my standard board. I didnt have time to do a controlled flex test but I will tomorrow. I am concerned it will be a noodle(actually I know it will be a noodle) but I wanted to start at a "base" board and then add stiffness on my next version depending on the ride of this one. Its a -60,0,60 layup. I havent seen anyone on this forum that did a full triax carbon fiber board so I thought I would give it a shot. I debated adding some light weight biax fiberglass but decided against it.
doughboyshredder

do you know what the composition is per orientation? I.E. 70% at zero, or 50%, and where did you get that stuff?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

That looks fantastic! Nice job keeping the weave straight, that can be a total pain when trying to get aesthetically nice carbon fiber (I've done lots with carbon fiber in non-ski stuff). Very impressive!
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

do you know what the composition is per orientation? I.E. 70% at zero, or 50%, and where did you get that stuff?
I dont know the composition per orientation. Here is the link to the company: http://www.braider.com/?a=35
That looks fantastic! Nice job keeping the weave straight, that can be a total pain when trying to get aesthetically nice carbon fiber (I've done lots with carbon fiber in non-ski stuff). Very impressive!
Thanks Twizz, funny you say that because it was a super PITA to keep the carbon looking good! Why don't you do more CF in your skis?

[/url]
doughboyshredder

I think it's equal in all directions. With the 60 degree that's probably pretty good stuff. Looking forward to hearing more about your progress using this material.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

wow!
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

You may not have seen a triax CF board on the forum, but I brought mine by to show you the other week ;) I'll have to bring it back over and we can compare stiffness flex. I used a core from snowboard materials.