Montucky Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Double M, thank you. Though the blade you sent didn't work out it did inspire an actual fix to a problem I've been sitting with for 6 months. I ground this out of carbide today. Works great. Probably last for 6+ months. <1 less thing in the sack of suck that needs to be resolved>. Thanks again, I owe you one. Srsly. I just looked at that photo and kinda wondered what happened to my killer "executive" fingers haha

"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

bad ass dawg. Grinding carbide sounds fun.
THat thing will last for a very long time, if you only cut ptex with it.
Cant wait to see what you come up with.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Brazen, get a 1/8" double sided straight fluted bit for your cnc. Cut out your design on opposite sides of the line. I do it all the time and works like a charm.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Haha, COs I tried that every which way and just never got it where I wanted it. I even got a couple of bits as small as .053 and just had way too much cleanup on the pieces. This knife rocks comparatively, no compensation required.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

so Im blogging here,
I basically ruined a pair of skis this weekend. Live and learn.
I made this pair about 4 years ago. The base was like .3 thicker than the edge step. I ground them at my local shop and they didn't give me any instruction at all and just let me loose. Consequently I didn't do it right.
I dint use the autofeed and they only really got ground +30cm fore and aft of the binding area underfoot, but I didn't really notice until later that there was still epoxy all over the edges and it was all base high still.

I put AT clamps on them and she never skied them until just recently. The tip rise was like 2cm so we repressed them to get more tip rise which worked but i figured I should fully grind them, on my base grinder, as I did a terrible job previously.

The base was a 4000 grade and black and hard.

When I ground them I forgot about my bad underfoot grinding and just ran them through the auto feed and it took a long time. Base was hard and it just didn’t seem to be taking the material down in the fore and aft regions. But it was but it was also taking a ton off underfoot where it was thinner to start.
Long story short, I ground through the base underfoot with 100grit belt. The base was so damn hairy and so thin that I dint dare put a 150 on and try and smooth them out for fear of going in to fiberglass. The whole thing is still edge high somehow and the edge is really thin on one side underfoot.
I think they were doomed from the get go. I made them in the old press and the thing racked or twisted when it got to pressure. Making a fully flat ski was basically impossible and thus grinding the ski to flat is almost impossible.
I went to re mount them and had to put in 3 inserts because I used epoxy previously because the cores were so thin and made of aspen.
On top off all this I sliced off my knuckle when I was trying to hand finish the base because it was so hairy.
I beveled the edge back and was scraping the base before I detuned the edge and my hand slipped and took off all my knuckle and now I have to wii bowl because I can’t regular bowl for a while. Damn. Nightmare.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

If your gonna start writing short stories, we need some twists and turns and then an unexpected endings - a few pictures and maps would be good too. You know, like Tolkien!
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Fair enough.
in better news we get this goin.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Your subbing on to wood? Its looking good dude!
falls

Post by falls »

fire brand?
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

screen print not heat sublimation. Acrylic ink. Holds up great after a poly treatment.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

For a minute there, I thought you'd shoved it through a printer ; )
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Finally pressed this pair, naked. Thanks for that suggestion falls. I will scuff them up and drop a topsheet if the flex is what i want. First double pair, first pair with the home made heater blankets and first with full carbon layers, first with ash as well. Lots of firsts. First with die cut base. Wow.
They look Good.

Brazen

Post by Brazen »

wow, that's something I've never done...pressed a board naked. hahaha, the board would be warped )
falls

Post by falls »

I think that was Rich's idea not mine. I would always counsel towards wearing protective clothing during epoxy use :D
Skis look good
Will be interested in seeing them cut out - particularly the die cut base
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
OAC

Post by OAC »

Naked ski or naked ski builder? :)