My progress so far

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Lennart

My progress so far

Post by Lennart »

Hello, it´s time to give something back to you guys. I have learned a lot from this site. I have put up a short site about my skis it´s of the temporary kind. I hope to get time to make a better one. My skis are for skiing in pists. A carver. 171 cm long. 118 -67-108 mm wide. Go to the following adress: www.wennstrom.se/New skis.htm
Lennart

Post by Lennart »

For some reason the whole web adress isn´t marked as a link. To get there copy everything including skis.htm and paste.
hose-man

Re: My progress so far

Post by hose-man »

Lennart wrote:Hello, it´s time to give something back to you guys. I have learned a lot from this site. I have put up a short site about my skis it´s of the temporary kind. I hope to get time to make a better one. My skis are for skiing in pists. A carver. 171 cm long. 118 -67-108 mm wide. Go to the following adress: www.wennstrom.se/New skis.htm
cant seem to get it to work, even if I add the skis.htm and omit the space.

Care to try again?
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

here you go: http://www.wennstrom.se/New%20skis.htm

nice work, Lennart! super clean - the press, skis, everything. i'm curious about the "heat tape" you mentioned in one of your captions. what exactly is it and how does it work? also, what kind of fiberglass are you using?
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

Looks good Lennart! I'm curious about how you ended up with your topsheet finish. The silvery woven fabric look.... Is that your fiber glass? Why isn't is clear & showing through to the wood core???? It is a great look! I'd like to recreate it.[/list]
Lennart

Post by Lennart »

Thank you guys for your kind words. The heating tape is strips of silicone heating blankets. They´ve got a percentage control unit. I bought four of them. One on each side of the bases. The alu tape is just covering them and fixing them to the bottom of the cassette. They heat up the cassette uniformly and don´t have to take any pressure from the press. Even the cat trac is heated. I bought them from www.omega.co.uk but it is a american company, so you can probably find it at omega.com to.Bases side and tip and tail material comes from Durasurf.
I use hollow glas fabric 160 g at the bottom covering the base and edges. Hollow glass is lighter and takes up vibrations, so rubber damping is not necessary together with flexibilizer in the epoxy. Then triaxial 750 g under and over the core. The metalic surface is created with Texalium 170 g . It´s a aluminum covered fiber glass.
Here is the adress:
http://shop.ezentrum.de/4DCGI/ezshop?hid=27&sprachnr=2
Chose reinforcement fabrics, then glas fabrics and page 8
A clear topsheet from IMS with graphics under it printed on a laser printer on ordinary office paper tops it o
Lennart

Post by Lennart »

I have had a lot to do at my ordinary job, so I haven't had much
time for ski production but three more pairs have been pressed. One
of which has been sold. The latest with basalt fiber is a real hit.
They have that elusive quality pop. Lots of it. It´s like this with
pop, if you have to ask what it is you haven't experienced it. A
synonym for pop is rebound. Stored energy that is quickly released.
Or acceleration out of the curve that catapults you to the next. I
have seen the discussion elsewhere on this forum. A thick and stiff
core and a lot of dampening kills this action. A softer core and
hefty laminates works to the benefit of pop. You need to damp out
high frequency oscillations. Then you have a ski with pop and
excellent handling on ice and hard pack.
I have been out testing the skis all weekend and let other people
try them. They are awesome(the skis I mean). Got rave reviews on them.
Even the most sceptic skiers really liked them. I have never felt anything like these skis and what differs from the other pairs I have made is the basalt fiber. The other skis where good these are on steroids.
In telemark and powder skiing it´s hard to use pop to your benefit.
I think you have to stand on both skis on hard snow in the turn and
bend them to get a real rebound. With skis like this you feel the
whole edge and what´s happening under it. They are lively.
Bare with me for bragging but I´m so content.
You have got some pictures here: www.wennstrom.se/basalt.htm
SCHÜSS

Post by SCHÜSS »

hey lennart, looks really good. i love the side cut too. How much did you end up getting for them if you dont mind me asking??

well done tho.

do you have any pics if you/or someone laying some arcs on them?
SCHÜSS 2011
Lennart

Post by Lennart »

SCHÜSS, I sold them to a friend, so I charged him barely more then material cost.
We where so busy skiing that we only took some photos during a lunch break and and none in the pists.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Very interesting construction! Two question regarding things i've been thinking of too:

You are using flexibilizer in the epoxy as a replacement for damping strips. Do you use the flexibilized epoxy for the entire layup or just for the hollow glass layer? How many flexibilizer do you use?

Which type/weight of basalt fabric do you use? Do you mix it with glass layers?
Lennart

Post by Lennart »

Alex, I use a more flexible epoxy now. For the other I used 9% flexibilizer. The last three pairs have rubber on tips, tails and the edges.
The hollow fiber doesn`t cover the edges just fill the space between edges, base and the core. If you can`t get hold of any rubber, let the hollow fiber go all the way over the edges to the outside. There will be no delaminations and it really damps vibration. Concerning basalt fiber I think I`ll keep that little secret for my self for the time being.
Doughboy

Post by Doughboy »

Dina skidor ser grymma ut Lennart! Snyggt jobbat!!
Listen to Black Sabbath!
Lennart

Post by Lennart »

Tack Doughboy!
endre

Post by endre »

Interesting statement on pop there Lennart,
It´s like this with
pop, if you have to ask what it is you haven't experienced it.
I have tested 113 different skis (from all brands) this winter but still have to ask what pop is. There seems to be very little agreement (and a lot of theories) about what pop is, your opinion is very relevant.
davide

Post by davide »