It begins...

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

gketcham

Post by gketcham »

That press looks super nice. I have a couple quesitons for you Alex. How big of a hoist did you need to put that press together and stand it up? About how much did you spend on all your press materials including: frame, bolts, hoses, mdf for top and bottom mold. I have been searching around the forum and am trying to get a ballpark price for a I-beam press. Thanks a bunch, happy building!
Alex13

Post by Alex13 »

Thanks mate.

Not including the heat control, I would have spent around $3000 (Australian Dollars) on the press all up. However, I have access to a welder at home and I didn't pay for the MDF, uni supplied that for me. I also had a compressor already. This includes things you don't think about, like welding rods, glue, paint, castors, delivery fees, hose fittings, air line etc.

I found ringing around for steel prices made a big difference - I was quoted anywhere between $750 and $2000 for the steel.

For the hoist, I used a block and tackle attached to the roof of the shed. It's basically a chain and pulley hoist with a hook on one end. It worked fine, but it was pretty dangerous and you'd need to make sure your shed was built pretty strong.
Alex13

Post by Alex13 »

Reworked the heat control system this week, the blankets are now controlled by two separate PID controllers & SSR's. Should give better control top & bottom, I was finding the top blanket was creeping in temp quite a lot with a single controller.

Also finished off my basic cassette today - will post up details soon.

2011 board coming in the next couple of weeks + some veneer experimentation :D

For now though, off to the snow! I still haven't ridden all the boards I made last year so will be doing so tomorrow.