Ski Build before College

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Drew

Ski Build before College

Post by Drew »

I have been reading this forum and site for the past four years and have finally convinced my parents that I have done enough research. So now in my senior of High School my dad and I are going to build a pair of skis. I am lucky enough to have a full workshop in my garage with nearly every tool you can imagine. I have already made one core out of pine to test its attributes and I'll probably make another out of poplar just to compare. The main thing that I am currently wondering about is whether or not Bondo fiberglass resin will work for skis. My dad used to be a competitive sailor and he would make his own centerboards and said that Bondo worked well bonding wood and fiberglass. I have seen on some posts that say that it wont work but i will probably still test it out just to be sure.

Thats all for now I will update as I progress.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Oh heavens no. Do not use a Bondo brand resin for making skis. Bondo is a polyester resin, you want to use EPOXY for skis. There are epoxies specifically designed for compression molding applications.

Check out QCM Epoxies, they're a very popular one (thats what I use now) and are used in industry.
Drew

Post by Drew »

I figured that I would get that reply. I'm looking for something that I can buy locally. How do you feel about West Systems which I can get a West Marine?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

West system will work well and comes in a tard proof pump system.
The marine application is not technically formulated for compression molding but works well enough.
Drew

Post by Drew »

How far would 1 Qt. resin and and the .44pt. hardener go?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Yeah I've seen a lot of people use West Systems, I haven't used it personally (I've only used Fiberlay, and QCM)

That amount would probably get you two pairs of skis maybe?
sammer

Post by sammer »

Drew,
I've been using west system for a while and it works great.

I've got one pair with over 50 days of hard riding and they are still going strong.
I get about 3.5 pair per gallon but I'm sure I could get more if I was thrifty.
So my guess would be you'd get one pair with some left over.
I'm using it to laminate my cores as well so tend to use more.
It's very expensive compared to QCM though, close to twice as much, even considering shipping and dangerous goods charges.

West is easy as pie but I find the hardener pumps don't last long.
They seem to mess up if left for a short period of time (a week)then even when you prime them they will still give you a half pump from time to time.(or sometimes nothing)
Buy a good scale and call QCM and you'll be golden.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Drew

Post by Drew »

Thanks thats good to know.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Has anyone ever used Aluminum foil for dampening purposes?
I tried searching it but couldn't find anything.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

It may be a really good idea.
Bonding could be a problem.
You need to etch/sand that shiny surface to get it to bond correctly.
I don't know ho you do that to such a thin material other than an expensive an caustic chem etch.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Maybe a soft wet sand with some fine grit paper would do the trick.
cstoneskis

Post by cstoneskis »

Hey, just stopping by to say good luck with the process! I am building my first pair as well. :)
Drew

Post by Drew »

I have everything I need now except for epoxy. I did some research and found some epoxy for sale that the cheapest prices I've seen. Here's the link, tell me what you think.

http://www.jgreer.com/index.htm
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

Drew,

Just be aware that shipping costs on epoxy and hardener can be through the roof due to the environmental hazard they pose as 'hazardous' chemicals. If at all possible try to buy locally.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Jekul,

I have taken that into consideration and it still comes out cheaper. The shipping costs seem to be by weight, or maybe the supplier pays the hazardous material fee. To ship the 1.5qt kit it will only cost $13.00 to ship.