Ski Build before College

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Jekul

Post by Jekul »

Looks like you've done your homework then. Go for it. As many others have stated, try out a 100g sample before doing the full layup. Have fun!
Drew

Post by Drew »

The only thing that is stopping me from buying this epoxy is that some epoxies don't work for bendable applications like skis. one example would be loctite marine epoxy says that it is not for flexible materials. Is there any way to tell which epoxies can and can't be used on skis?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

The only way to know is call the manufacturer or the place selling it. I'm using QCM and it's a great product and the folks there are great! But I pay $64 for 1 gal resin 1qt hardener and $41 in shipping.

I'm looking for a local supplier also. I guy told me about a boating supply company in Springfield, Mass called Mertons. I'm going to see if their epoxy will work. Hopefully they will know and I won't have to experiment, well I guess I should experiment anyway to be sure.
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

Drew,

I would call up the company and get their recommendations. I'm entirely in your camp in trying to get the best prices, but at $150-$200 in materials for each pair, you can spend a lot of money before you get something rideable. I ended up finding a local supplier that was very interested in helping me out wherever he could. It's hard to put a price on the knowledge of someone that has 30+ years of composites experience. I ended up with 1gallon of resin and 1qt of hardener for $90 from this company. I know I could have bought cheaper, however it works great and he was willing to stand behind the product.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Well I figured I'd get this thread going again since I am getting close to being ready to build some skis. I currently have all the steel I need for my press which i pulled out of my cousins backyard so it was free. I also talked to a friend of my dad's who is involved with the firefighter burn charity and he hooked me up with some fire hose. I'll post pics as soon as my press is built.
Drew

Post by Drew »

My press frame is 70% built but i was wondering if using plastic rungs from plastic fencing would work for my cat track.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Drew wrote:My press frame is 70% built but i was wondering if using plastic rungs from plastic fencing would work for my cat track.
You have a picture or link to what you're talking about? If the plastic is too soft it might bend or dent around the sides of the ski
Drew

Post by Drew »

Here's a link to the fence.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... G7&prdNo=7

I was also thinking about some ribbed UHMW because it would conform to almost anything and is also sturdy.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Do you already have the plastic fencing? If so, put a few in the press and inflate the hose to desired pressure and see if the holds or not. They may crush.... Better to find out before you press your skis.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Thats a good idea. Also I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas about how to find and stop slow leaks in the bladder. I inflated it to 60psi and 4 hrs later it had deflated to 0psi but with air still in the hose.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Diluted washing up liquid or you can go pro and get what you need from a plumbing centre - just tell them your checking for leaks.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

depends where its leaking. I used neoprene washers and regular washers and big pieces of steel. 2 impact drivers was key in making this quick and painless, once I had all the crap.

Drew

Post by Drew »

Thanks Montucky and Richuk for the input.

Here of some photos of my progress.

Pulling the steel out of the woods
My Dad and cousin helping out

The press built

Fire hose

SO thats as far as I've gotten. I should have the molds and cat track completed in the next few days, But i still never got any feedback about the idea of ribbed UHMW as a cat track.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Have you found the leaks? You may need to add more bolts to seal off the ends. Look at Montuckys' setup with the washers and number of bolts used. I used 5 - 1/2inch bolts on 6 inch hose. That sealed it up pretty tight.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Bolt the end like skidesmond suggests. Are you sure the angle iron is strong enough - bit unsure about the final bolt, right hand side, its a bit close to the edge.

Oval fence is likely to squash under the pressure. Have you thought of using wood - there's at least one ski builder with a cat-track made of wood.