Ski Build before College

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Drew

Post by Drew »

Here are some pics of the ski.

I am currently build a planer crib for the planer I'm about to buy from a friend of my dad's who is a fabricator. It is pretty industrial.[/img]
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Did you learn anything? I'll bet you did! Good effort! :D
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
Drew

Post by Drew »

just pulled another ski out of the press.

random fact:
cutco scissors cut through 8 layers of 17oz like butter.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Skied this new pair all day today at stowe. It was excellent. The conditions in the trees were crust over about a foot of soft snow. The skis just busted right through everything. My buddy was skiing on my rossi sc80's and while he was struggling to get through it, I was surfing through it all. It was great. The aluminum topsheet ripped mostly off so i know just have a fibergalss/epoxy topsheet.

Ski Dimensions:
150-118-138

will post a helmet cam vid later
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Cutco scissors - I've used them too. They work great. I was impressed when the girl who did the demo cut a penny w/ them. I use a rotary knife now for FG.

Metal is tough to get to stick. I've done tests w/ it that were unsuccessful. I think the metal needs to be chemically treated to abrade/pit it so the epoxy adheres to it better.

Post video. Stowe is a great mtn.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Got my planer yesterday. Had to install a 220 outlet for it but it works great.
Im also looking for someone near me who can cnc my templates for me. it would be great to have perfect templates.

On the vid: Unfortunately my buddy has all the vids on his computer and there is no telling how long it will take him to edit it. Hopefully I'll have it soon.

I also skied the skis in vail for one day after a 10" storm. They were great. Outer Mongolia was amazing. After the storm everything froze so it was a good thing I brought my rossi's.
Drew

Post by Drew »

new templates courtesy of noble snowboards
Drew

Post by Drew »

SO i just finished profileing a set of cores and am about to leay up a pair when i realized that i forgot i needed to rout our an area for the edges to fit into. Since I didn't do sidewalls i cant actually route it out cuz i dont know where the edges will fall.

I know that you can put a layer of fiberglass Between the base and the usual piece of glass that fits inside the edges to off set the gap so the base isn't concave.

Is it ok if there is a half inch gap between the edges and the glass in the tip or does it need to fit close up next to the edges?(ski is 5inch wide and the glass is only 4 inch wide)
Drew

Post by Drew »

SO i just finished profiling a set of cores and am about to lay up a pair when i realized that i forgot i needed to route our an area for the edges to fit into. Since I didn't do sidewalls i cant actually route it out cuz i dont know where the edges will fall.

I know that you can put a layer of fiberglass Between the base and the usual piece of glass that fits inside the edges to off set the gap so the base isn't concave.

Is it ok if there is a half inch gap between the edges and the glass in the tip or does it need to fit close up next to the edges?(ski is 5inch wide and the glass is only 4 inch wide)
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Very close. I'm at my desk and don't have edge or caliper here but just measure it and cut the class to fit it perfectly if you're going to do it that way. .025 is the tang depth that needs to be made up by fg/resin and this is not the best way to do it imo.
Drew

Post by Drew »

I think Im just gunn trace the base then route out the inside of the line so it will just fit nicely. maybe even keep the core from shifting.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Yeah. Exact is always good.