Getting started!

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

falls

Post by falls »

Rough trim
If it has tree branch in the foreground it'll make the magazine
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
Drew

Post by Drew »

I just got veneers just like those. I'm glad i picked them.
falls

Post by falls »

Trialled a drum sander in the drill press for sanding the edges, tip and tail after cutting out with the jigsaw. Mixed result. Seemed to take longer than with the belt sander, but did a much better job, especially around the tips. I think a big vertical belt sander like they use in the factories would be sweet.
I think its Dr Delam that uses these sanding drums in a router to sand the tip and tail. Thanks for the idea
Also used the tilt base router for the sidewalls
Seemed really stable, which was good
Waiting for spar varnish on the topsheets to dry
145-115-135
Weights: 2234g and 2276g - seem to often end up within 40g of each other.
Now to find someone to do the base grind
OAC

Post by OAC »

Beautiful!

I think this is the best part when they are trimmed and varnished
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Great finish!

Have you tried clamping a belt sander on its side? I tried the drum sander, but with a smaller radius and faster rotation - ooops, a little aggressive.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Those look Great!
carnold

Post by carnold »

Hi. Nice job! I love the look of that trimmer as well....Much sexier than the Makita ones. Also here's a couple of photos of my "Edgesand 2007" set up..It's an old Bosch belt sander that has a couple of captured nuts in the top of a nice square casing so it's really easy to mount on a timber frame. Then I have an adjustable rest to keep the edge angle correct. For timber edges I shape with 80 grit then change to 150 for a finish sand making a nice job of the steel as well.
C.
falls

Post by falls »

that looks good chris, miniature version of the big belts they use in the factory. I had tried with the belt sander upside down bolted down, but not on its side.

Had a ski yesterday for the first day of my season. Same skis as the last day in japan, but very very different conditions. Hard icey base with sandy man made snow dusted on top after no snow in 7 days. Pretty much from perfect to the worst imaginable! To their credit the 115mm waisted skis held a good edge and remained a stable ride. Obviously not the ideal ski for the conditions, but still fun and happy enough to be on them if I didn't have any others at my disposal.

Dropped off the bamboo veneered skis at Pullin's in Mansfield today. The tech was pretty happy with them, especially how flat the bases were. He tunes the boards for the current Snowboarder cross world champion so I think I might be finally onto a good thing for base finishing. They have ceramic edge tuner/polisher and wintersteiger belt/stone grinders and a hotbox for waxing - looking forward to the results.
Alex13

Post by Alex13 »

That belt sander setup looks awesome - another thing added to the shopping list (just what I need, haha). I'm using a vertical one that runs off one half of a bench grinder, it does the job but it's not always the easiest thing to use.

New ski's look great Tim, tried them out yet? With the snow we've had this past week I expect you'll be headed up the hills shortly!
falls

Post by falls »

thanks alex
no testing on these skis as yet. Plenty on the ninja turtles.
4th day at falls creek today for the season. Pretty windy, but great windblown and fresh snow. Tomorrow's looking great, although I have to go to work :(
falls

Post by falls »

http://www.vimeo.com/26229329
little video of some july skiing downunder
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Skier envy! Take some runs for me.... 5 more months before I see my first run (unless I hit the lottery).
falls

Post by falls »

Stencilled logo
Unfortunately have used oil based paints that artists use and drying time may exceed 2 weeks. Silly mistake![/img]
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I'm on my way over, but again WHAT causes projectile vomiting? Is it the Jaeger or the beer...those look killer TJ, man, roll on! :)))

And give that kitteh some giblets, that's it. Giblets. Can't miss it...
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Brazen wrote:I'm on my way over, but again WHAT causes projectile vomiting? Is it the Jaeger or the beer...
A bad sphincter valve might be to blame :) ??