Skevik Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

redbull

Post by redbull »

yup, close up shot of the skis are from cat skiing. my brother went last weekend to an operation near Nelson, BC.

for the fiberglass, we're using 22oz triaxial. we use that below and above the maple core along with an additional layer for extra binding reinforcement.

the graphic is printed on to the bonding side (abraded) of the UHMW topsheet. With Nazdar inks, you can buy a snowboard catalyst for the ink just for this purpose. squeegee on, let dry, then laminate.
http://www.nazdar.com/pdf/ADE_TDS_Rev_8_072009.pdf

thanks for the comments
Merry Christmas
falls

Post by falls »

Thanks redbull.
I want to try and do sone screen prints in the future. Maybe not full length to start! I also have a friend who does lino cut prints which I reckon might be able to utilise the same ink as the screen printing.
The dye sub printing looks like the way to go for more complex designs. There is a place I think in the Seattle area that does this. I've read it on here before. It was in a thread associated with iggy from on3p.

Here it is from page one of on3p thread
Craig Schneider @ Creative Edge Graphics in Auburn, WA
LifeisRiding

Post by LifeisRiding »

Good looking ski's!
And nice inovation with your edge bender and shop space use!
Nice to see other builders work from here in the valley!
I am based out of kelowna. Would love to get a closer look at your ski's sometime if your ever ripping up at big white.
andi

Post by andi »

hi skevic bros, nice vid, i like the sound.

have you guys thought about mounting your edge bender under/through a workbench with just the rollers sticking out on top of it so that you can work with the base on the bench next to it as a template? if you had varying radii like for snowboard tips that would be nice, same for serrated edges.

also, what is the material of that sheet on top of your heating blanket called, between the cattrack and blanket, i have seen stuff like that before, not sure what it is.. does it resist the pressure no worries? would be nice to not heat the cattrack as well i guess and even out the cattrack surface..
cheers andi
- skiers, come to the dark side, we have girls and beer -
redbull

Post by redbull »

hey andi,

we don't need to use our edge bender very much (we do 3/4 wrap now). for the models that we do use it, we just figure out roller position and bend length; therefore, don't need to have easy access to base.

I believe that material is called masonite board or hardboard. we still do use it, but our cattrack still heats up... probably not the best barrier.
andi

Post by andi »

thanks for your answer.
my impression was that filing down the ends of the edge and bending them to fit inside the board/ski at the exact same spot as the base inset ends is at least as laborintensive as bending the edge all the way around. or do you have another, quicker aproach?

masonite, yeah thats the one. cheers.. i wonder why the cattrack still heats up, should be quite a good insulator. i used a sort of thin textile fleece, bit liked cooked wool. not the best solution but better than nothing at all.
- skiers, come to the dark side, we have girls and beer -