Skevik Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

redbull

Skevik Skis

Post by redbull »

Skevik Skis Layup Video

First off, we would like to thank everyone at skibuilders. We wouldn't be where we are if it wasn't for this forum. So to give back, we've got a video! My buddy filmed us one night at the end of the summer and put together this video.
http://www.vimeo.com/6523899

There are still things we want to improve, as most people, but it won't progress to quickly as I'm back at school. Feel free to leave any comments and questions!
shopvac

Post by shopvac »

wow. great video and ski alignment. Are you doing wooden sidewalls?
redbull

Post by redbull »

yup. same as the core: maple. we started fooling around with UHMW for sidewalls, but didn't have the time to press a pair as we ran into a few problems. hopefully next year.
endre

Post by endre »

are you aware that skevik is a typical scandinavian name for a place at the coast with very little snow and not necessarily good skiing terrain?
(vik=small bay)

part from that, everything looks very nice. I think you will find that there is no need for plastic walls, hard wood is just as strong (and it looks better)

cool edit!
brandt

Post by brandt »

The name Skevik is the name of a small bay in the Stockholm archipelago. Like Endre said, not that well known for it good skiing terrain.

Real nice video editing!
An adventure is the consequence of bad planing
thefreshpimpofbigair

Post by thefreshpimpofbigair »

super bitchin'
I really like the lay-up table with the rack underneath!
skis look sweet too....
R
SEMPER LIBERTAS
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Seriously cool video guys, well done! Really gets me in the mood to make some skis (its been a few months since I have, haven't even looked at our ski making stuff all summer... time to get back into it I think!)

I REALLY like your edge bender. That is exactly what I had in mind to make, looks like you have adjustable bend radius too, awesome. Did you make that thing from scratch?
wintersboarder

Post by wintersboarder »

awesome, love the video, looks like you guys have a nice setup!
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Added to favorites !

I'm also interested in the edge bender... made from a mix between a press drill vise and a brake line bender ?

Great work !
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
redbull

Post by redbull »

endre / brandt: We selected the name Skevik, as it was our great father's last name. He was Norwegian and migrated to Canada around 1900. But no, I wasn't aware of the place with the lack of good ski terrain. Anybody else have any further insight of the name Skevik?

twizzlestyle / ben_mtl: Ya the edge bender works awesome! We have tried everything before this was built: bender as shown in how-to section and the modified tube bender as others have done. We found these time consuming. This design you just insert the edge, set the desired radius, and feed through. Guess it depends on the shape of your tips. It works good because of the close contact points (minimizing springback) and it bends the edge along the whole curve (opposed to the modified tube bender). We had a machinist turn the rollers for us and we assembled the rest to a drill-press vise.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

You don't have any close up photos of the edge bender do you? I've had this idea for a while but never sure if it would work very well or not, and clearly you've shown it does so you've inspired me.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Great video! I like the ski alignment and especially the edge bender. I just bought a hand held bender today for $6.00. It's very basic. I tested it out today. It works if you take your time. But your's is really nice! Great Job.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

WOW!!!!!!!

HOw many pairs are you building?
bobbyrobie

Post by bobbyrobie »

cool video! that edge bender looks great i have been thinking about making something similar. So it looks like you are wetting everything out first on a separate table then transferring it over to the final layup area?
redbull

Post by redbull »

twizzstyle: Don't have any close up photos right now, but will try to post some pics in the next couple of days.

MontuckyMadman: We built about 6 pairs at the end of this summer. We hope to press another 8 or so when I come home for reading break.

bobbyrobie: Yup, wetting the fiber glass separate then doing the layup. Think we tried it after watching the Kingswood layup video. Works good. What are others doing? Wetting-out with layup or separate?