Soul Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Dtrain

Re: Soul Skis

Post by Dtrain »

Downloaded this imgur app. How are you posting photos doc. I tried but just puts the link in. Not the image.

That graphic is sick by the way
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

Dtrain, did you try the BBCode? That's what I used for the link.

When you say "your Photobucket is gone" are you not able to access the pictures on your account anymore? I still see them in your journal. Is that the only place you have them stored? When I open the image in a new tab, it doesn't have the Photobucket watermark. You could always resave them that way if necessary.

I always say I'm going to build more skis in the summer but that's when I usually work the most and too much fun in the outdoors to be had. Good on you for the ambition and drive for 12 boards. I am lucky if I build one pair a year now. I curse myself every year for putting it off as it's so much easier to do wood working and base cutting outside without having to worry about the dust and mess. Plus it's so much warmer outside in the summer than a cold garage in the winter! I am definitely doing a tribute ski for my beloved lab, Milo, who I had to say good bye to a year or so ago. Every time I started working on the graphics, I got bummed out but I think it's time now.
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

Tuning just got a little easier. The shitty snow conditions prompted me to make my idea a reality so I could use my base grinder for side edging.

I had a friend weld a plate to the roller rod so I could use it as a fence. The roller really served no purpose that I could see and it made for a perfect mounting point for the fence. There is a threaded stop under the bracket that serves to micro adjust the angle. It also flips up out of the way when you are base grinding.

It's almost like Grindrite had planned on doing this but then realized they could make more money selling a stand alone side edger.

Now that my edges are sharp maybe it will start snowing again.
kingemmett

Post by kingemmett »

I love the skis you have been making, and I have three questions for you:
1. Do you use a single or multi layer wood core?
2. How thick are is the wood core?
3. What type of wood do you use?
vinman

Post by vinman »

Very cool mod on your ST 600. Grindrite did in fact make a dance for side edge tuning just like what you have made. From what I can find out they are fairly rare to find and I've thought about doing the same thing.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

kingemmett wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:37 pm I love the skis you have been making, and I have three questions for you:
1. Do you use a single or multi layer wood core? Multi layer vertically laminated core. Strips are usually around 3/4" wide.
2. How thick are is the wood core? I like stiff even though I only weigh 145. I usually go 13 mm in the middle tapering to 3.5ish mm tip and tail.
3. What type of wood do you use? I have tried all sorts of different kinds but have come to like a mix of maple, poplar, and oak. Maple sidewalls have held up the best for me too.