My new skis - Dragon 175

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Witzy

My new skis - Dragon 175

Post by Witzy »

I just finished pressing my first pair of skis. Thanks to everyone on the forum for lots of great advice. I built a clamping press with a hose filled with water similar to the one described by schoeckl. This was my first attempt at building skis so I was glad I found his easy, inexpensive, and safe method for building a press.

The skis have an alder core. I was going to use poplar, but the alder seemed a lot lighter and should have a similar strength. The ski has a black plastic base, 22 oz triax fiberglass, the alder core, more 22oz triax fiberglass, cotton fabric graphics, and a clear top sheet. I used plastic tip and tail spacers and wood side walls.

I used Tap plastics marine epoxy. I don't know if any one has used it for skis, but it was avaliable localy.

I'll post the photos soon.
KevyWevy

Post by KevyWevy »

yes, pictures please!
where are you located?
we haven't used tap epoxy with skis, but my roommate and I get other supplies there.
Nick's Sticks

Post by Nick's Sticks »

Congratulations on your skis.

I tried the tap epoxy and didn't like it. It certainly worked and the skis have held up fine (Probably about 30 days so far), but after it had cured it seemed too brittle. It should be said that I have no real evidence to support myself and, like I said, my skis came out fine. I prefer MAS or System Three. They are all pretty similar price wise and MAS seems to have the best wet out properties. It also has the nicest tone, unless you don't want color, in which case it is the worst.

If you have photos of your press please post them as well.
"Powder days? Everyone loves powder days. You can ski powder days the rest of your life. I prefer ice, its faster." -Glen Plake
voodoo

congrats

Post by voodoo »

you gotta post some pictures.
congrats on the skis. keep it coming.
Witzy

Photos

Post by Witzy »

Just posted a few pictures of my press and skis in the ski builders gallery.

http://www.skibuilders.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=25
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

cool!! Love the graphics!
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.