The first big screw up

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

doughboyshredder

The first big screw up

Post by doughboyshredder »

I cut out, sanded and drilled the third board. Damn, this one looks perfect. Oh, wait, why is the tip so low and short? WTF?

I layed my base up backwards. Damn. Tapered board to, so that sucks. I can ride it the way it is, but the core profile is shifted towards the nose by about 5 cm, so the tip is stiff and the tail is soft instead of vice versa. And, the inserts are shifted forward of center by about 6 cm. Damn.

Annoying mistake. I spent a lot of time making sure all of the minor details were perfect on this board just to make this huge mistake.

I marked the tip wrong in the beginning and never double checked.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Measure twice, cut once !

I did the same kind of mistake on my 2nd pair of skis : profiling the core backwards... Fortunately I catched this error just after core profiling so I just had to profile a new core (I profile after the sidecut is routed and sidewalls are bonded). I kept the core just to remind me to double check everything ! (and maybe I'm gonna be able to reuse it at some point)
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
Nick's Sticks

Post by Nick's Sticks »

Sounds like you have half a bench.
"Powder days? Everyone loves powder days. You can ski powder days the rest of your life. I prefer ice, its faster." -Glen Plake
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

i have made a board that has 2 diferent sidecuts 1 with 8.3 and other with 10.0. why? the diecut machine gu had some errors on the machine and i have a screwd board. fortunatly i have mechanic skills and had found the f... mistake and fixed the machine.... errors??? allways becarefull and when we got more atentionfor the next boards... "routines always kill the master" we always must have carfull with routines... it my advice
doughboyshredder

hugo, you made a park pickle without knowing it......

Gnu is making a board called the park pickle with offset sidecuts.

And, it turns out my mistake may not be a mistake after all. I did some searching and found out that Rossignol makes the Jeremy Jones with a stiff nose and soft tail for smooth but powerful freeriding!

http://www.rossignol.com/US/jones_RE8SE ... oards.html

check out the technos section on the board.

Now, I am stoked and can't wait to ride this thing.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

I think it is safe to say we all have made a mistake or two. The only thing to do is give them a go! Might find it is not a mistake at all!
ra
Greg

Post by Greg »

That is exactly it.... Mistakes are only mistakes if you classify them as such. Just call it an experiment, and everyone will be impressed at how inventive you are :)
Want skis Better, Cheaper, Faster and much much Cooler... build your own.
doughboyshredder

Best Board Ever.

Wow, I can't believe how good this thing rides. Took this and the other 166 up for some comparison runs. I am sold on stiff tip tech. Having a tip that won't fold when completely loaded is awesome. I ride super soft burton hails and flexible freestyle soft bindings, yet was still digging trenches on this board. Straight line is the real deal as well.

I will never call another design change a mistake. Everything is an experiment.
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

glad they worked out! I would imagine they feel like they have power steering with a soft tail
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Awesome. :D
Want skis Better, Cheaper, Faster and much much Cooler... build your own.