Goat-Ham-Ah project

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Yes that's actually the plan !
Here in Quebec , ski hills have hardpack and ice way more often than powder, at least I should enjoy the groomers a bit more than with my fats when I'm too lazy to go harvest some powder in the backcountry (and when I go night skiing after work).
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Yup, I ski on the same stuff. All my skis are carving skis. Only time we see "powder" is on an unusual heavy snow fall and before the groomers get to it. And it's not really powder, it's fresh snow.
vinman

Post by vinman »

des you just live a bit too far south. VT gets pow....
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

yeah I know... I try to get up there every so often. Really like Stowe too. I see they built a big resort hotel/condo complex in the last couple years. A friends of our did a lot work up there fire proofing the building.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Holy skinny

Looks great as usual ben.

I had thought of making skinny carving skis in the hopes that I wouldn't have a need for them 8)

We've gotten about 70cms in the last week but it's friggin cold -34c when I woke up this morning.

Hope to hike the hill again tomorrow.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Thanks Sam !

Trust me I'd rather not having the need for such a ski :p but I do...
As I'm not the guy who charges on groomers I wanted a ski to link nice and aggressive turns... I'll report on them as soon as I can, ski hills are starting to open on artificial snow..

Vinman -> Where are you in VT ? The last 2 week-ends I was enjoying the snow at Jay Peak, hopefully the hill won't open this week-end so I'll have on more occasion to go skin there... plus it might snow a little bit tomorrow and saturday.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I'm between Stowe and Smuggs ~30 min either way. Also about 45 min from Jay.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

New split-board for the girlfriend... need the final finish and the hardware but the result is pretty good IMO. (Graphics are not from me, she did it...)

Eirik Hanes

Post by Eirik Hanes »

Nice graphics!

How did you get it on the topsheet? did you order it from codaboards or did you do it your self?

For the black carving skis; how did you do the screen printing? looks awesome.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

For this split board I have to admit the graphic come from CODA, awesome service and very good quality.

For the screen printing, it's just a regular screen printing setup : screen with stenciled graphics, squeegee, ink... I'm lucky my "workshop-mate"/ landlord runs a screen printing business (T-Shirts) so he helped me with the screen (he has all the good equipment to make a nice screen) and showed me how to print the first time. The theory is not that hard, you just need a well made screen and good technique... this second requirement is still missing for me but I have really descent results.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Hi Guys,

I'm working on a new pair of skis, basically the shape is a 180cm ski, front rocker 75mm over 350mm, rear rocker 55mm over 250mm, regular camber underfoot, turn radius : 20m one circle (I used to do dual radii but this time I tried only one arc of circle)... It's touring/powder oriented ski with an underfoot width at 108mm.
The tips are quite elongated if viewed from the top.. If I had to compare to a few existing skis it would be a mix between the Billy Goat and the DPS wailer 112... well, kinda...
Anyways, my "problem/questioning" is about the position of the bindings.
I use to mount the bindings at the narrowest point which also corresponds to a "projection" of the radius centre. Also when I design a ski I put this centre point at 55% of the running length. In this particular ski, the mounting point ends up at 10,7 cm back from the ski true centre...
Is it too far back ? (I measured my other models and the mounting point usually is between 80 and 100mm from the true center...)

Thanks for any input !
Ben
falls

Post by falls »

I have used the same method pretty much as you ben on similar skis (55% of running length).
Real mount point (waist) at about 8-10cm back from true ski centre.
But I mounted them all at -6cm from true centre and quite like being a bit more forward and don't really know if I can notice that my boot centre isn't at the narrowest point)
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Well, when I put my boot at the "mount point" on my template it does not look normal... my gut feeling is it's too far towards the rear..

As I've not completed the drilling for my inserts (just pilot holes yesterday) I might just do like you and put the bindings forward of the theorical mount point so my position on the skis is closer to what I have on my other powder ski (in ratio).
sammer

Post by sammer »

Ben, I've been putting demo bindings on all my skis so I can figure out mounting point.
What I've found is that the sweet spot is always farther forward than I would have thought.
My original thought was the center of my ball of foot on the center of the ski.
But even that can be brought forward a bit to improve carving performance.
I mounted my naxos on the wood topsheet skis from this year and put them quite far forward, boot center probably 4.5 cm's back from ski center.
This might be too far forward in the powder but definitely feels right on the groomers ( I've had about 10 runs on them)
I would measure your boot and see how far it is from ball of foot to boot center and try that.
For a strictly powder ski you can probably go a little farther back.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Yeah thoses skis might not see much groomers... 4.5cm from true center is definitively to much forward.

I made some calculations this morning and I think I'm going to move the mounting point 2cm FWD of the radius center.
I'll end up 88mm back from the true center, which can be considered a lot but I checked with the ski surface in front of the mounting point VS behind it and if I go any further forward I don't like the ratio I get.. with this mount I have about 56% of the ski surface in front of the boots, which for no scientific reason makes me feel good about it..

In proportions, this ski will end up having the bindings slighty more forward than my other powder skis but I think it's gonna be fine... I'll still have the option of moving the bindings if it's not good...

Sam (and others), without talking about mounting point, how far behind the true center of the ski (half the length) usually is you radius center ? Do you guys have any dimensions from the skis you made and liked ?

The Powder ski I've made and like is 176cm long, so true center is @88cm and my radius center is @97.8cm -» 9.8cm behind true center.
On this pair I put the bindings at radius center (ball of foot there) and I like it... I never tried any other position though.. maybe I should but there are no demo/touring bindings to play with that (G3 Onyx maybe with the adjustable plates ?????) and touring is the only way I can get some powder around here...