Goat-Ham-Ah project

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

First day on the new skis : little dawn patrol at the local ski hill.. still 600m of vertical so it ain't bad.
They worked perfectly even though they were not designed to ski groomers... but WROD is the only snow available here for now...
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

So how do you like where you mounted them? You will probably need to try them in powder I guess to truly evaluate them.

Nice setup with the Vertical FT's and Black Diamond Skins. What boots are you using for those?

Also, any particular reason you did inserts for those?
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

So far so good !
I really like the bindings position, they ended up 20mm forward from the radius centre, so about 85mm behind true centre. They feel very lively on the groomers and the 100cm regular camber underfoot really does help on hard snow.
Can't wait to give them a try on powder but the weather don't think that way, I'll have to wait 'till my trip to Revelstoke/Roger's Pass mid-January. I would have preferred trying them out at home before I commit to take them for a week long trip.

I have some old Garmont Megaride as for the boots, I do like them but sometimes I'd like them to be a bit stiffer... I may try a tongue swap some time.

I have only one pair of touring bindings but (like many of you guys I guess), ways too much skis ! The inserts make it easy to swap the bindings from a pair to another if I need to. It's also a kind of safety feature as insert are almost impossible to tear out.

What I'm thinking for the future is a plate (like the Dynadukes) but only so I can move my touring bindings FWD or AFT.. to find the best position.
As I said in a previous post the only way to get powder around here is to go "touring" so the demo bindings are not an option to try the skis on powder while playing with bindings position.
Last edited by ben_mtl on Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

I actually ended up remounting my touring bindings back a little but I still need to try them again in some powder. No powder yet this season though. I originally put the midsole at 46% of total length, 4.5 cm ahead of sidecut center, 7.2 cm back of total ski center. When remounting I used the back toe holes as the new front ones to minimize drilling so they are about 2.7 cm back of original mount.

The skis feel very turny which prompted me to remount them but I think it might also have more due to the ski design with a lot of tip and tail taper with low swingweight. I am also not used to having such a light boot and binding setup either. I am riding the Dynafit Titan which has pretty good stiffness but still relatively light compared to my resort boots.

I was thinking about getting the binding freedom inserts so I could swap bindings as well if I get around to making another touring ski. My original idea was to have one pair for corn spring touring and another for powder touring.

Skis look awesome and have fun on your Revy trip. May the powder be with you.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Sweet set up. My last pair is about the same shape as those. What are the dimensions.

I found I had to really retune the tip contact point or it would be a bit hooky on the groomers. I also put a 1* base bevel and 2* side bevel on the edges.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Well, the Dynafit Titan (Ultralight ?) are definitely on my shopping list but for now I have some more important stuff to buy...
The inserts from bindingfreedom are really good stuff, I bought some inserts fr a pair I originally drilled to install a pair of demo bindings... then I made another shape for a new ski, put the demo bindings too... with the bindingfreedom inserts I'm now able to switch the bindings from pair to pair.. it's nice !

Vinman -> first question : is there a lots of snow in the stowe/Smuggs area ? enough to get some pow turns ?
The skis are 180cm long, 136-108-124 if I remember well, front rocker is 70mm over 390mm and the rear rocker is 50mm over 290mm. Pintail tip and tail.. I love it !
vinman

Post by vinman »

no pow to be seen anywhere. groomers and a few thinly covered natural snow trails, trees would be dangerous.

the rocker on yours is very close to mine. 70mm rise over 40cm and 50mm rise over 30cm. Mine are 185 but much fatter with a 122mm waist.

If we every get snow come down and I'll show you around smuggs if you want.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Vinman -> I went to Smuggs for the first time last year and loved it ! sure I'll try to get back there soon. I'll let you know !

Here are some blurry pics of the skis.. I can't even say those are cell phone pics... I'm just a bad photograph !
vinman

Post by vinman »

The rocker/camber profile is definitely similar. They look great. I like the shape of your tips better than what I have made. Mine is more of a shark nose shape, which is ok but I like the rounder tip profile.

There is another guy at smuggs that builds also and we trade ideas a little. Let me know if you head south once we get snow.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

A couple pairs made this week-end...

ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Latest skis and boards...

deepskis

Post by deepskis »

Wow! Thats one good looking split board! :D

Great work!
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
vinman

Post by vinman »

Wow looks nice
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

This looks like a sweet shape. For the wife?