ON3P Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

helmet cam layup video made me motion sick :(

Looks like you guys are still rocking, nice work!
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

I got a question for you Scott, where did you find the bottles you're using for the hardener ?
When I received my epoxy (small quantities for now), the resin was in a 1 gallon can and the hardener in a 1 quart container. Both containers are really not friendy to use for dispensing so I'm trying to find better solutions. The ketchup/mustard style bottle you have for the hardener is a nice solution... if I manage to find one !
Any idea for the resin ?

Thanks
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

ben_mtl wrote:I got a question for you Scott, where did you find the bottles you're using for the hardener ?
When I received my epoxy (small quantities for now), the resin was in a 1 gallon can and the hardener in a 1 quart container. Both containers are really not friendy to use for dispensing so I'm trying to find better solutions. The ketchup/mustard style bottle you have for the hardener is a nice solution... if I manage to find one !
Any idea for the resin ?

Thanks
They are just from a hardware store called winks in portland. It works pretty well considering. All the cups are preweighted by sam or rowen to the correct amount using a ladle and then stored in this nifty box we've set up. so I just grab them and throw them in front of the heater before pressing.

Wish I could be more helpful. It won't work at all for epoxy as it is too think, but for hardner it is good. Next year we are hoping to be able to get something much beter,

Oh and the drill press epoxy mixer = life saver.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

I'll go check in a few hardware stores around here, but except Home Depot and such who all sell the same stuff, there are really few (still have to find them) small ones which could have "exotic" stuff.

Dispensing the resin in pre-weighted small batches is the way to go but I found quite some resin is wasted in the process when transfering from the paint can to a small plastic/paper glass. I'd like to move the resin to another container which will make easier and cleaner the dispensing of small quantities... maybe just install a ball valve in the bottom of a paint can...

I definitively agree on the drill press mixer ! easy, fast and efficient !
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I've had the same problem with the epoxy resin and hardener. I use QCM. The price is good ($63 for 1 gal resin and 1qt hardener) but the shipping cost sucks ($47). As for dispensing it's rather messy because of the containers. On my next order I think I'll transfer the resin into a 1 gal milk jug..... I know I had some left over 1 gal jugs of windshield washer fluid that will work. At least it would be easier to pour from and could probably look for dispenser for the top. Of course getting the last bit of resin out might be time consuming because of the viscosity.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I saw pm gear had one of those bottom feed push button type dispenses they put the resin in. No more messing with the paint can or ladle. Just like a portable water jug. Moved thick resin fine.

Like this.
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

What about using a gear lube pump? Most automotive parts stores have those. You could also order one from AMSoil
falls

Post by falls »

I have seen a company here in Australia that sells plastic containers with pump action dispensers. Like those for suncream or hand soap. http://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index.php? ... ex&cPath=8 a few items down. Their epoxy comes in plastic containers with threaded lids so to use something like this you would still need to decant the stuff from a paint tin and find a suitable bottle.
heliski989

Post by heliski989 »

If you guys want an easy way to dispense Resin, just buy this pressure pot
then fill it with resin, supply air and connect a hose to it with a ball valve.

you could have it all said and done for around $110.

5 gal Pressure pot:http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=66074

5' of 1/2" hose: buyitatyourlocalhardwarestorenothomedepot.com

1/2" ball valve: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=66231
lucacasty

Post by lucacasty »

falls wrote:I have seen a company here in Australia that sells plastic containers with pump action dispensers. Like those for suncream or hand soap. http://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index.php? ... ex&cPath=8 a few items down. Their epoxy comes in plastic containers with threaded lids so to use something like this you would still need to decant the stuff from a paint tin and find a suitable bottle.
We use these containers and they work great.
We have a big one for the resin and a small one for the activator.
For one pres with the resin I have to do one press for the activator.
In this way you can forget about making any calculation and you don't have to use a balance.
LifeisRiding

Post by LifeisRiding »

hey, i went cat skiing this week at K3 and one of the other riders had a pair of your billy goat skis. They looked awesome and performed great! Great to see your stuff out in the wild!
Fresh

Post by Fresh »

Iggy,

I am intrested in coming by and checking out your palce. I too am local to PDX. I am in the process of getting all the equipment to build my first press and board. Even though I snowbaord, your stuff is very insperational. I am on the mtn this time of year in my free time, i know u can relate. But would like to come by some time after the season to go through some questions and get some pointers from you. I hope to be building boards that are as clean as your ski's. how often are you there for people to stop by?

Doug
falls

Post by falls »

Hey Iggy
Would you have time to explain what you're going for with the pneumatic rams you added to your presses. Thanks
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Crazy.

iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

Fresh wrote:Iggy,

I am intrested in coming by and checking out your palce. I too am local to PDX. I am in the process of getting all the equipment to build my first press and board. Even though I snowbaord, your stuff is very insperational. I am on the mtn this time of year in my free time, i know u can relate. But would like to come by some time after the season to go through some questions and get some pointers from you. I hope to be building boards that are as clean as your ski's. how often are you there for people to stop by?

Doug
Doug - shoot me an email - scott AT on3pskis.com and we will see what would work for us.