Round Top skis 19/20

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mammuth

Re: Round Top skis 19/20

Post by mammuth »

What also helps is to glue a piece of waste wood outside of the abs/pu. Like this the topsheet and fibres dont kink down over the edge and resin gets sucked out more easily
Tom

Wheatlpa

Post by Wheatlpa »

mammuth wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:14 am
What also helps is to glue a piece of waste wood outside of the abs/pu. Like this the topsheet and fibres dont kink down over the edge and resin gets sucked out more easily
Another great tip. I use wood side walls anyway so either gluing extra on there or just making the side walls wider is a pretty easy step.

Wheatlpa

Post by Wheatlpa »

So after skiing the new skis mounted with my 22Design Axls I was having troubles. I was stepping on my tips, the rear ski was chattering because it felt like I couldn't get any weight on it. In short it was frustrating and I felt like maybe I made a mistake with the ski shape. Well, after reading a lot more about mounting location and finding the boot centre I realized that I had used the (very) old school method for tele mounts in using the cord centre and mounting the pins there.

So, I remeasured the effective edge length and it corresponds to the narrowest point on the ski. Set back 4 CM and drilled new holes. Here is a photo with the difference in binding location:

The ski on the right is the new location, this is a big difference for me. I took them out this morning before work and wow, what a difference! I was able to get them over on edge, they were quick and snappy side to side and the rear ski was no longer squirrely, it held a solid edge and made my turns super solid.

Wheatlpa

Post by Wheatlpa »

I have started the next pair of skis, they will be exactly the same as the first pair but using two layers of 6oz biaxial carbon along with the 22oz FG. I would like to see what the carbon will add to the ski characteristics. My original pair of powder skis has 2 layers of 5.8oz CF and 2 layers of 19oz FG but a fairly thin core. They are perfect in soft snow, not so much on the hard pack. I hope I get these finished before the spring rains come!

I can tell you though, I am getting frustrated with the edge bending. Maybe I am just impatient and rushing through the process but oh man I find that edges are the hardest part of this whole process.

I am using the modified nippers as my bending tool, gentle curves are no problem, but just trying to wrap the edge around the nose and getting it to fit with minimal gaps is testing my ability to remain calm and not throw it all out into the snow....

ah, that was good to get off my chest. I am sure it will get better with practice.

chrismp

Post by chrismp »

For tighter bends you could try making a second tile nipper with a smaller (maybe even rounded) "nose".