Clamp press example

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

kirol

Clamp press example

Post by kirol »

Here is an example of a clamp press someone made.

http://students.washington.edu/seanr2/s ... front.html
kirol

Post by kirol »

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Hi there-

Somebody emailed me and pointed this post out to me.

Those are my photos, this was my attempt at making skis some 2 or 3 years ago now.

It was a good idea (I thought at the time) but I wouldn't recommend anybody use this method. You don't get even pressure, and you really don't get all that much pressure at all. (Probably 10-20psi max would be my best guess)

I have sense bought a firehose, and just need to weld up a steel frame for a pneumatic press. That is ABSOLUTELY the way to go if you want to make skis that are usable at all. I did ski on one ski I made one day, it it was ok-ish, not something I could ski on regularly. I've inflated my fire hose up to 80psi, although I'm not sure I want to go any higher for safety concerns. Pressure is a dangerous thing to play with if you aren't careful.
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

Hi there, and welcome to the forums!

Post some of your new stuff if you want - its always nice to see what people have made
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
kirol

Post by kirol »

[quote="twizzstyle"] I did ski on one ski I made one day, it it was ok-ish, not something I could ski on regularly.

how did they ride?
SCHÜSS

Post by SCHÜSS »

Here is my clamp press. Am thinking about going to prenumatic (but only becuase it takes like half an hour to do up all the bolts)

The skis we have made with this have been great. excellent durability, abseloutly no bubblles in the topsheet or marks where pressure has not been distributed evenly.

With the clamp press in the first few posts of this thread, i see a few big problems.

1. the aluminium or steel bars forming the 'cross' bits are bending, Thats bad. very bad. if they bend then they cannot apply pressure evenly in thehorizontal plane.

2. You need the whole thing to be mounted on something flat, and strong that wont bend. Wood isn't good enough. if you dont do this there is a good chance that your ski will be warped or not in the shape you would like. for eg. i used a i-beam so it would be flat and would not bend with pressure.

3. if you are going to make a really good clamp press the more horizontal clamp bits you have the more evenly pressure is going to be distributed. I like to space them about every 8-10cm apart. any closer and its a pain in the ass.

some other tips for a clamp press.

- It is very important to do up the bolts on each side of each clamp evenly. If one is done up tighter than the other pressure is not even and you can even warp your ski. I suggest having a drill with a pretty good torqe control so it will cut out at the right pressure.

- Double check and recheck that all are tight. (duh! u may say) but for exacmple if you do one clamp up tight, then do the next one up and then the third one a little bit tighter; then the second clamp is not going to be putting down all that much pressure.

A clamp press in my view is one of the most cost effective ski presses to build as it requires no pumps etc. However if your are after high volume out put of skis then this could get just a tad fustrating.

schuss
SCHÜSS 2011
burny

Post by burny »

to really evenly supply pressure i suggest to use a "glue beam" (i dont know if thats the right word in english) like cabinet makers use them. nothing will warp ...
esscher

Post by esscher »

what software did you use for your digital drawings?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Don't mean to bring up an old thread, but I felt it needed some updating.

The original posts were some pictures of the clamp press I built a few years back when in school. The skis were complete crap, basically unskiable.

It's amazing what a few years can do. I now know MUCH more about ski construction and composites in general, can weld, etc.

We now have a legit press complete with a PID controlled heat blanket, firehose, etc. We pressed our first ski this past weekend, and it turned out damn near perfect!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

mice work :)