heating a vacuum press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mikic1

Re: heating a vacuum press

Post by mikic1 »

Just in case you need verified press component suppliers, I put all my suppliers in a list here,
https://www.junksupply.com/making-a-heated-press/

Cheers
Miki
Maufils

Post by Maufils »

mikic1 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:54 am Just in case you need verified press component suppliers, I put all my suppliers in a list here,

Cheers
Miki
Thanks for the info, will start without blanket for now and will upgrade later. Good knowledge post about base flattness and camber effects. Building Happy Monkey style too ;-)
Attachments
Under pressure.jpg
Under pressure.jpg (81.28 KiB) Viewed 3646 times
Wheatlpa

Post by Wheatlpa »

Hi Maufils,

I actually got my entropy from a place in the states and had it delivered to a parcel pick up company in Vermont. Unfortunately with the border closed this no longer works. The shop in the states is called Jamestown Distributors. Not sure if they ship to Canada but they are really easy to work with. Let me know if you find something closer as I will be starting up building again soon. Too many woodworking projects to get done first!

Pat
serchman

Post by serchman »

Maufils wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:50 am
mikic1 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:54 am Just in case you need verified press component suppliers, I put all my suppliers in a list here,

Cheers
Miki
Thanks for the info, will start without blanket for now and will upgrade later. Good knowledge post about base flattness and camber effects. Building Happy Monkey style too ;-)
Very nice press! nice job man. did you take some more pictures about the construction? and what about costs? that would help me... thanks a lot for the support.
BR
ertooso

Post by ertooso »

how do you manage that with a vacuum table?
FredK

Post by FredK »

A question for Wheatlpa,

I looked at the link, https://photos.app.goo.gl/KX1ctzDuPpw3Qiu49 and wonder how you managed to get the cables tight that went through your vacuum bag without leaking? Or did you use the blanket only on top and outside the vacuum bag?
Thank you :)
Wheatlpa

Post by Wheatlpa »

Hi FredK,

Well, the heat blanket that I bought did not come with plugs, so before I wired them up I drilled holes in the table the exact diameter of the cables and simply passed them through. I then used silicone to fill in any gaps from both sides. I have pressed 5 pairs of skis with this setup and so far no issues. It also helps that I made the table out of plywood with a masonite top so easy to drill through.

I am sure there are better ways to do this but this was the simplest method at the time. If I get around to making a longer table I might figure out a different way but the "good enough" method isn't too bad.
FredK

Post by FredK »

Thank you!
OAC

Post by OAC »

My experience is that the heat within a vaccuum bag really worns out the vac pumps! The ones I have are almost gone. Difficult to draw any vaccuum worth its name.

FYI, I switched to regular press with firehose and compressed air.
I won't ditch vaccuum. It's a good starting point. But its too messy compared with pneu. press. If you build several pairs.