can i use a planner for core profiling

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

dbtahoe

Post by dbtahoe »

Yep, It's snowing at Tahoe.

Now if you attach all those spacers together from the outside with one long narrow board before you remove them you will have a comb for that ski.

Then, next time you want to profile that design, you insert the comb and plane.

That's the only difference between what you have done and what I was trying to explain.
alexisg1

Post by alexisg1 »

Right but actually some of the spacer are common to different skis.
Buuk has a lot of spacers of different height and will probably make combination.
It was my first try, so I machined every spacers at the right heigt (1/10 mm), but I will use some for others skis and at different place (for example my ski is 1m80 and the next one for one of my friend is 1m67...spacers are totally different then).
And yeah, machinig wood spacers is time-consuming :|
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Bumping because I plane to build a planer profiler.
I want it to be adjustable and these look like the best designs.
Buuk

Post by Buuk »

When my CNC machine is finished, I will re-use my core profiler as part of an adjustable bottom mold.

Some images of my CNC building project below....

Buuk

Make things as simple as possible, but not too simple
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Very good job Buuk ! A CNC is a very useful tool for the "advanced handyman" ;)
I just have a couple questions regarding your design:
Where did you find you 8020 ?
Aren't you worry about the stifness of your Z axis ? with such a distance between your rails and your driving screw, the gantry might deflect..
For the X axis I can only see skateboard bearings on top and on the inside of the 8020 frame, does something prevent the gantry to lift up ?

Keep posting on this, it's really interesting ! As soon as I'm back home (after the winter) I start building one :p
Buuk

Post by Buuk »

ben_mtl wrote: Where did you find you 8020 ?
I got them from a friend of mine. But here in the Netherlands you can order them at Item (www.item.info) or at Bosch-Rexroth (http://www.boschrexroth-us.com/country_ ... /index.jsp)
ben_mtl wrote: Aren't you worry about the stifness of your Z axis ? with such a distance between your rails and your driving screw, the gantry might deflect..
No, these pics are not really up to date, currently an angled connector is in between the two profiles. Furthermore the used profiles are immense stiff.
ben_mtl wrote: For the X axis I can only see skateboard bearings on top and on the inside of the 8020 frame, does something prevent the gantry to lift up ?
Gravity! If the milling force is as high that the gantry is lifted, something must be wrong...

I'll keep you up-to-date!

Buuk
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Buuk. Nice work. I'm using 8020 myself on my design. Good and stiff.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

any progress buuk?
Buuk

Post by Buuk »

Yes, it's working... but as I am graduating for my masters next month I am too busy at the moment. I will post some pics of the result and first CNC milled cores later.

Buuk
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

This video might help some of you guys using planers for core profiling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0BW-dxYiBY

Especially the use of sealed boards with super glue is something I haven't seen on this forum. Might be worth a try.
climberman

Post by climberman »

chrismp wrote:This video might help some of you guys using planers for core profiling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0BW-dxYiBY

Especially the use of sealed boards with super glue is something I haven't seen on this forum. Might be worth a try.
cheers
grainhog

Pictures

Post by grainhog »

Do the pictures in this thread also fail to load for everyone else?
burnside

Post by burnside »

@grainhog -

Yup, they're most likely broken links. Those posts are 10+ years old, the image host could have died or changed URLs since then.