Heat controller build help

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

stormyclouds

Heat controller build help

Post by stormyclouds »

I can do/figure out a lot of things but electrical work is not one of them and time doesn't permit me to learn right now. IS there anyone out there who I can hire to build me a controller for my new press? Thanks
Danielbroski

Post by Danielbroski »

Most controllers are done with PID controllers and solid state relays. Super simple set up, but I recently stumbled upon this pre-made Inkbird controller. http://www.homebrewsupply.com/inkbird-d ... aQodxRgHDw. Costs a little more than it would if you made one, but probably less than it would cost to have someone build you one. Only downside is its only 110v but that may not be an issue with your blankets.
Sotto

Post by Sotto »

if you go to skibuilders.com not the forum page. click on articles tab at the top of the page. then there is a link for Heated ski press. then there is a diagram half way down the page.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

you don't need to build controller. Line voltage thermostat can be used to control blankets… I'm using those without any problems.
Simple to set up, simple wiring… Inexpensive. Can be wired for 110 or 220… 16 A in 110; 8 A in 220. Comes with T.C. ..... What else can I say practically plug-and-play
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

I built one using a PID controller, SSR, and power entry module having a switch and fuses. All parts sourced on eBay.

If you can't do this maybe you should consider commercial temperature process controllers such as those shown in this link:
http://www.omega.com/subsection/benchto ... llers.html

-S
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Yeah I have a super simple chinese thermostat on a 3000 watt 240v blanket. It ocilates a few degrees rather than the pid ssr controllers I have but super cheap and simple. Gets warm at 350f it the pid ones get warm also at 180f.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
stormyclouds

Post by stormyclouds »

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm just going to build my controller. I'm trying to get all my numbers sorted now. Thanks!
stormyclouds

Post by stormyclouds »

If a have two pids and ssr's for two blankets, do need to two Dp contractors? Thanks!
mikic1

Post by mikic1 »