Could you make a pneumatic bladder from scratch?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

plasticpress

Re: Could you make a pneumatic bladder from scratch?

Post by plasticpress »

Thanks! I'm only planning to use 20-30 psi for my project so should be doable. How wide is the overlap of the fabric? And do you recall the name of the flexible resin that you used? If you happen to have any photos that are easy to share (of the sample or even just your whole press/sleeve, that would be amazing.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Plasticpress where in the world are you located?
Edit: i see Guatemala.
How bout a mil base old fire hose?

Buying used fire hose and having it shipped has got to be a better option.
If the bladder fails while ur pressing you are out hundreds of $ in materials and tens of hours of your time.
Don't reinvent the wheel here.
Just my $.02.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

I don't recall the exact overlap of the fabric. I think it was About 1" to 1.5". Maybe Montucky remembers what he has sewn for me :)

For the resin I used Adiprene LF 950A. I wouldn't recommend using that one though as it is a pain to get bubble free without special equipment and the pot life is way too short for this purpose. Have a look at the urethane rubber products from smooth-on. They have a variety of resins on the shore A scale that have longer pot life.