Vac press table?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

hegan

Vac press table?

Post by hegan »

Been thinking about this, and done some searches on here and on the web. Found some stuff out on the web but on here not so much. Has anyone ever tried making a vac table press something along the lines as this in the video.

Just up scaling it to a work bench size and using a real pressing vacuum. Has it worked for anyone that tried it?
sammer

Post by sammer »

You mean like this...

Mine using PU vacuum membrane with just a thru fitting.

and this...

OAC's Using a rubber membrane and a proper vacuum table.

Grabbed the image from here if you need more info.
http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2531

OAC's rubber membrane is a better way to go. Both the Nylon and the PU membrane hold the shape after pressing. Ok if your pressing the same shape over and over.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
OAC

Post by OAC »

I switched to silicon membrane pretty quick after that. It has delivered 30+ pairs without any trouble! Still going strong! :)
I use "paper bakelit" on the table.
Both the silicone and bakelit can take 250 - 300°C

I had plans renewing the whole set up, but it delivers so good!!

This is how it looks nowadays, wall mounted(for storage purpose) and everything:
Jibber

Post by Jibber »

What is the max. Vacuum you can pull with this setup?

Thanks, Christoph
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

The max vacuum you can pull with ANY vacuum setup is your local barometric pressure (14.7psi at sea level on a standard day). If you want more you need an autoclave (or a high pressure weather system! :) )
hegan

Post by hegan »

Ok I see that the vacuum pumps from under the table instead of making a hole through the pu or silicon. I might be taking that road because after making a few pairs and having some bad luck with the holes through the bag ripping and letting air out I'm done with that method.
hegan

Post by hegan »

Ok just downloaded sketch up, so go easy on how bad this draw up is.

But this is the idea I'm working with.

The inside of the box with a support in the middle that has air holes drilled in it. Make it air tight by using plumbing sealant along the seams, inside and outside.

The hole is the location of the valve.

And the top with holes drilled in it.

I'm thinking of making a frame like the ones you guys have done, maybe with oak for extra weight.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Your base is going to need more ribs.
14psi doesn't sound like much but it will break the bottom panel of your base at the worst possible time.
I broke a 3/4" panel by leaving about 11" unsupported.
The panel just sucked up into the void and broke 1/2 way thru the press cycle.
Luckily my epoxy was just about at gel stage when it happened.
Surprised me 'cause I'd pressed a few pairs before it finally failed.

When I finally make a vacuum hold down I'll probably router a pattern of channels into a bottom 3/4 mdf sheet and then laminate a 3/4 sheet with matching holes onto the top. Have to seal it all with pu or shellac or glue.

I think that's what knights has done here.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
OAC

Post by OAC »

Don't overdoing it! No need for an extra "chamber", just make the valve go thru the table.
If you're not going to use heat you can use av sheet of PVC or some other plastics. Just to seal the table.
OAC

Post by OAC »

...and no need for channels on the top either. It's better to have them, or just one, under the mold instead...if any. :)
Jibber

Post by Jibber »

twizzstyle wrote:The max vacuum you can pull with ANY vacuum setup is your local barometric pressure (14.7psi at sea level on a standard day). If you want more you need an autoclave (or a high pressure weather system! :) )
Not any setup is really airtight. For normal vacuum bagging 80% is ok. I use vacuum infusion to build my kiteboards and there you need a perfect setup. Therefore my question...

For the other stuff I agree with OAC. Keep it simple otherwise you will get problems to seal everything.

Cheers Christoph
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

Here is an old pic of my setup. Very simple and effective. Keep it as simple as possible!

Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
hegan

Post by hegan »

Ok I think I will just make a normal mdf table and use this plan from joe woodworker http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/ ... -press.htm . cant get much simpler than that.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Just make the frame sturdy! I started with the one like JW, but it was a little weak for the pupose. I know sammer had some issues aswell. I ended up with rectangular steel tubes. :)
dvollebregt

Post by dvollebregt »

I'm also thinking about building such a table. What kind of vacuum pump do you use?