Cleco's for attaching edges.

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

NinetyFour

Cleco's for attaching edges.

Post by NinetyFour »

Not sure where the best place to post this is... Seen there was a fresh thread on attatching edges but I think the tool section is more appropriate.

For clamping down my edges on my base I'm using Cleco clamps and Cleco pliers. I know there area few other aircraft guys on here, so you might have access to them so you could try them out, or some of you might even consider purchasing some. They clamp very tightly, have nice flat clamping faces, and are way less bulky than a traditional spring clamp. Their only downside is needing the Cleco pliers to use them.

They're traditionally used for temporarily fastening aircraft and other sheet metal structures together.

Used a half and half combo in this picture when I first tried them just incase they didn't work. next time I attach edges I will exclusively be using these little guys:

Clamping Cleco:

Cleco pliers:

ProbsMagobs

Post by ProbsMagobs »

hey that's a great idea! I have a few dozen of those lying around because my dad used to repair helicopters
mattman

Post by mattman »

THATS what those pliers are for! Cool clamp idea...die spring and a jaw...so simple.
FlamingYeti

Post by FlamingYeti »

Dude, thats an ingenious idea. Do you know of any place where you could get these for a relatively cheap price? We currently have to buy more spring clamps since we don't have nearly enough. In other words, do you think if I were to buy these, would it be cheaper than if I were to buy another 20-30 spring clamps? Probably not, but I might want to look into it. Pretty cool idea though.
NinetyFour

Post by NinetyFour »

Well one clamp runs about $1.99 and a pair of pliers are about $7.00. That's for the smallest one's available. So I guess it all depends what kind of spring clamps you're buying and where your buying them from as far as a price difference goes. We buy them from Aircraft Spruce.

We've also dealt with these guys before for buying parts for all of our old as dirt rivet guns:

http://www.yardstore.com/browse.cfm/4,3817.html

They're selling the large 1" clamps for $1.95 so that's a better buy then what we've been paying. But still, I think spring clamps are only like a $1.50 ish at home depot.

The only real benefit to the little cleco's is their flat clamping faces; and then I had them readily available in large quantities. Doubt their clamping differences will make a drastic difference in attaching edges at the end of the day!
Cornice

Post by Cornice »

Good idea but i dont have many. I usually just use spring clamps. :)

Some base material is base low compared to the edge so in that case they would not work as well. Im also thinking they are not as strong...
Im still going to bring all of mine home from work to add to the dwindling number of tools left in my hanger. haha Thanks !

PS Are you a sheet metal guy only?
NinetyFour

Post by NinetyFour »

They still have a pretty good clamp. Just putting one on the end of my finger (terrible test, not sure of any other quick test methods though...) it feels about the same pressure as a red spring clamp (at least my red clamps have burlier springs then the black clamps) The sideclamp cleco's also have a recess at the inside of the grip, sort of like a pair of calipers, so it can still grab base low material! Not sure why the ones in the picture don't have this, but the ones we're using do.

Like so:

And no, I'm just apprenticing now, haven't even gone to school for my level 1 yet; but I've been at the family business for years. We do the full 9 yards, engines, airframe, electrical... Right now we're in the midst of restoring a set of beaver wings though so cleco's of all shapes and sizes are plentiful! Crazy how many aircraft guys are on here though. Myself, yourself, Rnordell, Twizz... Are you an A&P/AME or homebuilder or..?
Cornice

Post by Cornice »

Thats great!
Looked today at my clamp clecos. They are smooth clamp and are very week. Looked at some new ones today that were much stronger and had that step. Going to get a bunch of new ones as i can use them for work as well. Thanks for the good idea.

Full time A&P/ IA here in Alaska workin on mostly 135 air taxi stuff. I dont do much sheet metal anymore except for the control surface now and then.