Press Box design

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

backyardskier

Press Box design

Post by backyardskier »

So my idea is to make that box and lay some masonite over it with a layer of .06 aluminum over the masonite. Think it will work? Going to be using a vacuum pump system.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Not sure what it is that you're making here. Is this a box for pressing skis or for heating skis to cure them after they are pressed? Need some more description and details. Thanks.
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

Yeah i just took a look and it is hard to tell sorry about that.

My plan is to make a box to vacuum press skis. I want to make one like this to make it easier to change out ski shapes and also to save time on making mold ribs. Just want to make sure using a thin layer of masonite with .06 aluminum over that layer would be enough support between the mold rib gaps under the pressure of the vacuum. Kind of copying board crafter's tub.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

The span between the mold ribs seem to far a part. I don't have a vacuum press so I don't know if the Masonite/Al will concave under pressure. I'd rather over engineer than risk under engineering.
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

Image these are far more apart then the design I came up with. Think using a cat track under the .06 will make it work?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Better go thiner than that for the al
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

MontuckyMadman wrote:Better go thiner than that for the al
So .04 would work better you think?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Will you be sealing the bag directly to the mold surface? If yes, then you don't need to worry about it caving in between the ribs since you'll have atmospheric pressure pushing on both sides of the mold (but I would still do more ribs just to ensure base flatness).

If you are sealing it up such that the area under the mold skin is also under vacuum, you need way more ribs. 14psi doesn't sound like much, but it'll bend things.
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

twizzstyle wrote:Will you be sealing the bag directly to the mold surface? .
Yes I will be sealing the bag right on the top surface which will be the aluminum.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

In that case the pressure will not be pushing the mold down between the ribs.

But you need to ensure that the aluminum/masonite is somehow fixed down to the ribs in some good way that keeps it smooth, since the vacuum won't be pushing the mold surface into the mold shape.
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

Yeah I know , I'm either going to make a carriage rail system, or take the easy way out and simply drill screws on both sides on the outer mold ribs.
dane

Post by dane »

I built the same press as the one on boardcrafter. Works great. See pictures below.

You have to make sure you use the lathe system, though (or something similar that you come up with) otherwise your aluminum or masonite or polycarb won't sit flat horizontally and your base will not be flat.
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

just got all the lumber and lathe and screen to make the box, going to be more like a tray ha.
Here it is
This is just a mock up everything is just sitting on top nothing screwed in yet need some flat brackets to put it all together.
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

Just finished it tonight. Came out great and it is easy to set up and take down.

knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

just take those mold ribs, make like 16 more copies...bolt and glue together, sand them and spackle them with something and sand them to get the surface smoother... add a piece of sheet metal, and you have your mold... a mold worthy of a press even
Doug