Cleaning and roughing Edge before glue to the base

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

duce1nik

Cleaning and roughing Edge before glue to the base

Post by duce1nik »

Does anyone roughen up the edge and clean it up with denature alcohol to help with the bonding? I saw a video from boardcrafter that he roughen the edge and clean with denature alchohol.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I usually wipe them down thoroughly with a cloth. If there's any corrosion I'll lightly sand and wipe down. I try not to use any chemicals unless absolutely necessary.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I used to, but now I don't do anything. Never had an issue.

Like Steve said, if they've been sitting around for a long time and are rusty I'll scuff them up a bit, but otherwise I do nothing.
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

I give them a quick wipe down with a dry cloth (works on lightly rusted areas as well) then glue them on.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Green scotch brite pads work nicely for removing surface rust or sooty type stuff from annealing.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

most of teh edges you will find are actually treated or primed for bonding and to prevent corrosion.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

My edges from skilab were sandblasted and rusty. Rather than sand blast them again (I have a blaster) I wire brushed them with a wire brush cup attachment on the grinder and then hit the tangs with a flap disc 40 grit to rough them up.
I dont like a sandblasted finish because it is actually impregnated with tiny pieces of garnet.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

they use silica sand and what are you talking about?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I have garnet in my sandblaster that what I was talking about. I wire brushed to remove the rust and then used a flap disc to rough up the tangs so they bond better.
duce1nik

Post by duce1nik »

Thank everyone for the Reply. I have some rust on the edge. So I would have to sand some down. Another Question : I use Hot Glue to keep my core down while using planer to profile. after I use the Hair dryer to soften up the glue to take off. but there still some sticky left. How do you complete clean of the hot glue? I read that isopropyl alcohol can be use to remove the glue. What your method of removing the hot glue after profiling?
sammer

Post by sammer »

Peel it off when its cold. Don't heat it up it comes right off.
Did you just glue the perimeter?
If so it will get cut off with the flash.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
duce1nik

Post by duce1nik »

I put some Hot glue under the core and around the perimeter . It definitely stick on really good. Had a hard time getting it off under the core that why I heat it up to make it easier
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

worst thing you can do for the bond is wire brush them or sand them.

The sand blasting creates a pitted surface, which assists in bonding.
More

Post by More »

DBS - worse than leaving them rusty? (serious question, I have some rusty skibuilders ones too)
falls

Post by falls »

I've always just cleaned the rust off with methylated spirits. Seems to bond fine. I vaguely remember reading or someone referring to a test someone did with bonding rusted edges and they found the rust actually helped pit the surface and improved bond (as long as you clean the powdered rust off).
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....