Ogden ETR-8120-31221 Temperature Controller

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

WhitePine

Ogden ETR-8120-31221 Temperature Controller

Post by WhitePine »

Hey everyone. I came upon an unused temp controller here at work which the company is willing to give me. I've read a bit about it and I think it will work for controlling some heat blankets. Can anyone confirm this for me?
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... vtkHran4Jw

I plan on building some of my own blankets (if I can ever find the time) but I need to research the wiring and electrical aspects a bunch more so I don't burn down my garage. My judgement tells me I can use this controller but affirmation is always a good thing. Will it work?
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

Yeap, that controller will work great! All you need is a SSR or two. Also were you going to build 120VAC or 240VAC mats? If 120 the magic number is around 10ohms and at 240 40ohms. If you need anymore help just ask, I've built a few.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I just bought the same setup that you have troublemaker, cant wait to get it all built.
PS did you snip off the threaded fitting on the end of the thermocople?
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

gozaimaas wrote:I just bought the same setup that you have troublemaker, cant wait to get it all built.
PS did you snip off the threaded fitting on the end of the thermocople?
No, I just make my own thermocouplers. You can buy bulk thermocouple wire on Ebay for $10 for 50 feet. The first controller I built used a PT100, but it seemed a little to bulky for my press.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Oh ok I just bought 2 of them as kits on ebay and they come with a thermocouple with a threaded end, ill probably just modify the end to something flat.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220930529752 ... 1439.l2649
troublemaker

Re: Ogden ETR-8120-31221 Temperature Controller

Post by troublemaker »

WhitePine wrote:Hey everyone. I came upon an unused temp controller here at work which the company is willing to give me. I've read a bit about it and I think it will work for controlling some heat blankets. Can anyone confirm this for me?
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... vtkHran4Jw

I plan on building some of my own blankets (if I can ever find the time) but I need to research the wiring and electrical aspects a bunch more so I don't burn down my garage. My judgement tells me I can use this controller but affirmation is always a good thing. Will it work?
What is the whole part number for the controller? You might not have output voltage to drive the SSR. Maybe just have a set of contacts and you need to supply 3-32VDC to the controller.
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

gozaimaas wrote:Oh ok I just bought 2 of them as kits on ebay and they come with a thermocouple with a threaded end, ill probably just modify the end to something flat.

If you have a torch just cut the end off of the thermocoupler and remelt the thermo wire with your torch. (A propane torch doesn't get hot enough)
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

troublemaker wrote:
gozaimaas wrote:Oh ok I just bought 2 of them as kits on ebay and they come with a thermocouple with a threaded end, ill probably just modify the end to something flat.

If you have a torch just cut the end off of the thermocoupler and remelt the thermo wire with your torch. (A propane torch doesn't get hot enough)
Yeah cool. I have an oxy/acetylene torch and also a 250 amp tig welder I should be able to sort something out!
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

troublemaker wrote:Yeap, that controller will work great! All you need is a SSR or two. Also were you going to build 120VAC or 240VAC mats? If 120 the magic number is around 10ohms and at 240 40ohms. If you need anymore help just ask, I've built a few.
Thanks! I believe it has an SSR built into it. Can I really do this with 120VAC? I was under the impression that I had to re-wire my garage for 240. So you build and sell mats?
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

No, it doesn't have a built in SSR. What it has is 0-10VDC output to drive a SSR. SSR's are built to handle the high current draw of a heat mat. You can pick up a 25amp SSR on ebay for less than $10 shipped. Yes you can do this with 120VAC fine, if you wanted to run 240 to your shop that would be better on your electric bill. Yea, I have built a few heat mats and PID controllers for some guys on here.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

the hardest part of the whole PID setup, is reading that damn manual and understanding how to program a simple set temp/time program.

Once you do that, just flip the switch, and go eat dinner :).
Doug