CNC Router build

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

That was easy! Thanks Mike!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Cut out the logo of my mountain. Pop can is for scale. Took just over 30 minutes to cut this, at 75 in/min, it's 0.25" deep, I did it in two passes of 0.125"

COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Nice!
cal

Post by cal »

Nice work Twizz! I've been dreaming of doing this for quite awhile. When you get to it I might be able to help you with a 3-D profile of the Snoqualmie Area. I am a GIS Analyst here in Oregon and have all sorts of access to data and the software to manipulate it. What sort of format would you need it in to work with your CNC code? Cheers.

CAL
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Thanks for the offer to help Cal, but I think I've got what I need.

I was able to use the data from the link Mike posted a few posts back. I've now got the 3D model in an IGES format, and it looks pretty awesome... but it's so detailed, when trying to generate tool paths it crashes. It doesn't help that my shop computer is pretty old/crappy :( One of these days I'll buy myself a new computer, but I'm too cheap (ahem... didn't I just spend way too much building this machine??)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Cheap!? You're a ski builder. You already have many paychecks devoted to this bottomless pit :-D btw- awesome cnc machine.
Last edited by skidesmond on Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I can just picture the "Ski Builders Anonymous" meetings...

My name is Sean, and I'm a ski builder. :oops:

nfaust

Post by nfaust »

Nice build! Did you do all of the machining yourself on the cnc grizzly?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

nfaust wrote:Nice build! Did you do all of the machining yourself on the cnc grizzly?
I made a motor mount adapter for the z-axis to mount my stepper motor to the ballscrew thing I got (which had a smaller mount), and I made these setscrew adapter things that bolt onto the x-axis timing pulleys. Both of those things I did machine on my CNC grizzly mill (made by a CNC machine, for a CNC machine! :) )

Everything else was cut by hand with an angle grinder, band saw, drill press, or hand drill, except for some of the larger/more critical parts, which I had laser cut by some place.
Sherpa Burns

Post by Sherpa Burns »

Twizz,
I'm blown away. That is very impressive. Love the use of steel. If you're going to be carving away in bamboo, you just did it right. Kudos.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Finally got the gcode worked out for the Snoqualmie Pass terrain.

Cut a test piece out of normal pink insulation foam. This was small, about 12" wide, took about an hour to cut.

Next I want to glue up a bunch of layers of light colored wood (maple maybe?) with black epoxy, then machine this on that so the layers form topo lines. It will be 2ft x 3ft, that I can mount on the wall :)
sammer

Post by sammer »

Now that is cool!

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Jibber

Post by Jibber »

Very nice machine! I am still working on mine...

Cheers, Christoph
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Wow cool! Make a mini 3d relief on a pair of skis.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

skidesmond wrote:Wow cool! Make a mini 3d relief on a pair of skis.
Oh no... The ideas start flying... I could machine a long chain of mountains (real ones or not), say 1/2" tall, out of similar foam and then glue that to the top of a pair of skis. The foam would add basically no weight, and wouldn't change the stiffness of the ski at all. I'd want to seal it up with something, epoxy or something, and it would get torn up real bad after just one day... But the novelty of it would be pretty cool!