Core Profiling help

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Joe Migs

Core Profiling help

Post by Joe Migs »

Hello fellow builders,

I am fairly new to this forums and was wondering if someone could help me or point me in the right direction.

After a year and a half I have finally completed my neumatic press and dialed in my heat pads to stay at a consistant temp. In short I am ready to press but there is one thing that is holding me back and it is profiling these stupid cores.

First I read an article on profiling the cores through a planner by putting it on a wegde. For some reason after doing the math about 50 times over and rebuilding this wedge I am still not able to get the blade to link up and taper offf the section that I want. I have not built the router bridge yet because I have not one had time and heard that it takes a long time to profile the cores that way.

I have done a few searches in this forum but have to admit I am not the best at searching forums.

Is there anyone out there who may have some insite for em or could point me in a direction?

thank you
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

dont do the wedge. It blows and you have to turn the core around.
It does not allow for a flat spot at all.
Do a sled.
Look at on3ps journal. Just scan the longer journals the answers are in there.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Router bridge is fairly fast and easy.
Probably doesn't take me much longer than a planer would.
simple router jig plans
http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1326

Can also flip the idea around to make a planer jig

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Moved to Equipment and Tools.

Ditto what MM said, the wedge never made much sense to me. It's pretty easy to make your own profile boards.

(This is how I make my camber boards for our mold too)

Cut two strips of MDF the inverse of your desired profile. Turn those on their side and hot glue to another piece of MDF, maybe 4-5 inches apart. Take yet another piece of MDF and place it on top of those ribs (I put strips of grip tape on them, you could hot glue them as well) and run it through the planer just like you would to profile your core. Presto - profile board. Cover it in grip tape and start profiling.

Does that make sense? Perhaps I need to sketch up a drawing
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Sammer,
It is also much easier on the back! I have done both and now only use the router. Quick, easy, and low stain on my back.
ra
Joe Migs

Post by Joe Migs »

twizzstyle
your talking about a planner bridge right. so i was trying to wrap my head around this last night because to me the one ziggy made from ON#P looks like a box. after you explannation i am picturing a similar box but the ends are going to be curved up or curved down. (I think curved up) and then you slide that through the planner. does the core sit completely flat on the bridge or do you have to tape it or glue it down or will the gripp tape be enough.

I am going to try and buld a router crib and a planner bridge tongiht. hopefully i can get it done cuz I would like to press tomorrow or thursday.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

ON3P uses CNC'd MDF boards with grip tape. Thats all I'm talking about, but you don't need to CNC it. The picture sammer posted is exactly what i'm talking about, but he's using a router to make his planer board.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Actually, the pic is of my mold but would be exactly the same if I was gonna make a planer crib.
Still using the router bridge for machining cores.
It is way easier than lifting a planer crib and takes up a lot less room when I'm not using it.
I find the router bridge is much easier to change when I'm building something new.
I've got a pretty good selection of shims, and keep good notes on what I used so I can duplicate it fairly closely if need be.
If I was making a bunch of skis all the same I would definitely use the planer instead.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Joe Migs

Post by Joe Migs »

Thank you guys for all your help. I have a few more steps to complete the router crib but I think i may be on the right track.