Vacuum Press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

hegan

Vacuum Press

Post by hegan »

I'm looking in to presses and I think for me a Vacuum press would work best, but where dose one get the supplies needed for a press like that. Also is there any sites that have a how to on them. Thanks!
Idris

Post by Idris »

Hi Hegan,

Depends on where you are? Stateside? Europe? NZ?

If you search the forum there is quite a lot of info on where things ar to be found.

I my case my first few skis were vacuum pressed using normal plastic sheeting and packing tape for a Bag

A few plumbing parts for a Connector

An old refrigerator motor for a vac pup, I used to let the thing run constantly until I built a switch from a syringe, a spring and a heavy duty ,microswitch.

I used cardboard as a Breather and pressed against Maisonite.

I pre bent my tips and masonite so I didn't need a mold.
hegan

Post by hegan »

I'm in the usa, I'm just looking in to using a mold and some kind of bag to press every thing together. I looked on here and didnt find much.
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Go to boardcrafter.com. they have a bunch of videos that explain a vacuum system.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

hegan wrote:I'm in the usa, I'm just looking in to using a mold and some kind of bag to press every thing together. I looked on here and didnt find much.
Then you need help searching. About half the folks on here do vacuum bagging instead of firehose presses. It's cheaper and easier, you just don't get as much pressing force.

There is a wealth of information on here regarding this. Check out OAC's Vacu-Master 3000. He has one of the coolest vacuum systems around.
hegan

Post by hegan »

Then you need help searching. About half the folks on here do vacuum bagging instead of firehose presses. It's cheaper and easier, you just don't get as much pressing force.

There is a wealth of information on here regarding this. Check out OAC's Vacu-Master 3000. He has one of the coolest vacuum systems around.[/quote]

I will look in to it thanks.
hegan

Post by hegan »

twizzstyle wrote:
hegan wrote:I'm in the usa, I'm just looking in to using a mold and some kind of bag to press every thing together. I looked on here and didnt find much.

There is a wealth of information on here regarding this. Check out OAC's Vacu-Master 3000. He has one of the coolest vacuum systems around.
I will look in to that, thanks.
Aiden24Nobel

Post by Aiden24Nobel »

So are you looking for compact 100 vacuum press system or vacuum press with veener pump & bag?
14costurm

Pump, and cost overall

Post by 14costurm »

What kind of pump (Exactly) do you need? and what is the over all cost?
FrontierSkis

Post by FrontierSkis »

joewoodworker.com has everything you need to know, However be prepared if you do build a solid vacuum pump that its not cheap. Mine is continues duty and all said and done with a rebuilt pump cost was around $600.
Its worth the money, you dont want to come across vacuum trouble during layup..... it sucks!
14costurm

Cost?

Post by 14costurm »

However be prepared if you do build a solid vacuum pump that its not cheap
What do you mean by solid Vacuum Pump?
OAC

Post by OAC »

Here's your starting point: http://www.dream-models.com/eco/vacuumpump.html

If it's not suitable, then go to JoeWoodworker

If that's not ok, buy one of these for continous running:

Go to work! :)
14costurm

Vacuums needed?

Post by 14costurm »

Is there any other type of Vac. 'v been looking at something like this. Image Will it work?
FrontierSkis

Post by FrontierSkis »

something that can cycle on and off, as once it pulls vacuum and you begin to develop a minor leak the pump wont have enough power to start up again. Will expand the life of your pump and allows you to leave and come back hours later, but you will want to build something like this. Works just like an air compressor but in reverse.

You can find lots of plans on here, also the cheapest place to find a pump.http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/welcome.htm

Jibber

Post by Jibber »

Why are people building a setup like this? I just let my pump run for 24h hours...

Thanks, Christoph