Vacuum Press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Wvmtnbiker

Re: Vacuum Press

Post by Wvmtnbiker »

The shapes were done in Draftsight which is a 2d cad program that is still free as far as I know. Figure out your design specs and start drawing. If you need specifics I can try to send you some of the drawing files but you’ll still need to download draftsight to open them. The 3/4 mdf was cut on a CNC and bolted together - the holes are 5 cm apart for adjustability. Well worth finding a good CNC shop to cut the designs unless you’re just into suffering. I’d rather spend time building than making mould parts. Obviously tip/tail moulds can be changed.
Wheatlpa

Post by Wheatlpa »

Thanks for the response, I will check out the draftsight application and see if i can come up with a camber profile. I assume that it is user friendly? I do not have a lot of experience with CAD software.

This might be a big ask but any chance you have a photo of the mould with out the topsheet? I am having trouble wrapping my head around how you get the length adjustable or how your top sheet is bridging the gaps in the MDF.

Also, where are you plumbing the vacuum hose into the table? Is it under the mould with channels leading out? Or are the channels underneath the tops sheet and exit at the tip and tail of the mould.
Wvmtnbiker

Post by Wvmtnbiker »

The base of the table is two layers - the bottom layer is 3/4 mdf and the top layer is 3/4 melamine screwed together at the corners. MDF by itself is too porous and the vacuum won’t work as well. I copied OACs design years ago and haven’t changed much. The vacuum line is one hole in the center of the table. Can’t remember the exact details but a brass nipple fit tightly through the mdf with a counter sunk hole in the melamine with a brass nut and lots of clear silicone. This has always been the weak point in my setup that is easily solved with lots of silicone at all the points where the line comes through the table.
I’ll see what I can find for pictures of the moulds. Design the tips and tails for the length and rise that you want then add a long flat section that extends into your camber mould and add holes every 5 cm for adjustability. The holes attach to your various camber moulds. The camber moulds are designed for the running length of the ski and whatever camber you have in mind. I have 1050mm,1150mm,1250mm and 1350mm camber moulds with 4 to 6 mm of camber. For the camber moulds add the holes every 5cm in from the end of the contact points towards the center of the mould. This allows for a pretty wide variety of ski lengths for the kids and wife. If this doesn’t make sense let me know.
Wvmtnbiker

Post by Wvmtnbiker »

I use a metal sheet - aluminum over the mdf mould for layup. The pictures of my press have the aluminum sheet over the mould.