Vacuum Press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Jibber wrote:Why are people building a setup like this? I just let my pump run for 24h hours...

Thanks, Christoph
I'm with you... vacuum pumps are designed for 100% continuous running. I've had mine run for over a week with no issues (forgot about it, oops!)
OAC

Post by OAC »

Yes, I've switched to continous on the latest builds. I got a problem with "slushy" oil and was told that continous and regulate the ballast would do the trick. It didn't solved it 100%, but much better. I believe the "slush" comes of some reaction with the release wax I use.
SouthLakeBoarder

Post by SouthLakeBoarder »

What sort of pressure would you guys recommend for pressing a snowboard with one of these pumps? I was checking out the boardcrafter videos, and that dude said his pump was running at just under an atmosphere (which I assume means a little less than 15 psi) for 48 hours. Is 15psi+- about normal for this type of project, or is more pressure typically better? Thanks!
hegan

Post by hegan »

would this work for the vacuum pump, or is it to small?
http://www.veneersupplies.com/products/ ... ystem.html
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

Seems small to me. It only flows 1.1 CFM, and oil-less but it's built by Gast so probaly a quality pump. I have HVAC vacuum pump that I bought on CraigsList that flows 6CFM for $75 bucks! CraigsList is a great place to find this kind of stuff.
Last edited by troublemaker on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hegan

Post by hegan »

troublemaker wrote:Seems small to me. It only flows 1.1 CFM, and oil-less but it's built by Gast so probaly a quilty pump. I have HVAC vacuum pump that I bought on CraigsList that flows 6CFM for $75 bucks! CraigsList is a great place to find this kind of stuff.
been checking craigslist but nothing at all, and thats for 3 states!

how about this one http://www.veneersupplies.com/products/ ... ystem.html
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

Well, I'll look around around here and see what I can find and if I can find something that will work I'll send it to you.
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

SouthLakeBoarder wrote:What sort of pressure would you guys recommend for pressing a snowboard with one of these pumps? I was checking out the boardcrafter videos, and that dude said his pump was running at just under an atmosphere (which I assume means a little less than 15 psi) for 48 hours. Is 15psi+- about normal for this type of project, or is more pressure typically better? Thanks!
You can't have more than 1 atmosphere (~14.7psi at sea level) of pressure with a vacuum pump, unless you use an autoclave. If you're doing vacuum pump, you want to achieve the strongest vacuum you can (1 atm). Only way to get more pressure is autoclave, or go fire hose.
SouthLakeBoarder

Post by SouthLakeBoarder »

twizzstyle wrote:
SouthLakeBoarder wrote:What sort of pressure would you guys recommend for pressing a snowboard with one of these pumps? I was checking out the boardcrafter videos, and that dude said his pump was running at just under an atmosphere (which I assume means a little less than 15 psi) for 48 hours. Is 15psi+- about normal for this type of project, or is more pressure typically better? Thanks!
You can't have more than 1 atmosphere (~14.7psi at sea level) of pressure with a vacuum pump, unless you use an autoclave. If you're doing vacuum pump, you want to achieve the strongest vacuum you can (1 atm). Only way to get more pressure is autoclave, or go fire hose.

Ah, I gotcha. I'm still super new to this hobby (as you can likely tell :) ), and I just wasn't sure what the norm for pressing with a vac was. Thanks for clarifying that!
AllgäuSki

Post by AllgäuSki »

My Vacuum Pump gets a pressure of 600 to 700 mbar. It was a very cheap pump (used for like 70€). I'd like to achieve just a little bit more pressure... therefore my question: does it make sense to combine two smaller Vacuum Pumps to get closer to the absolute vacuum? Or does it make more sense to have a closer look at the sealing?
sammer

Post by sammer »

Can your pump pull more than that?
Hook your gauge to the port where it sucks and see what you get. Then compare to the chart.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-a ... d_462.html
If you're not pulling max for your altitude get a new pump.

If you're getting less at your bag you've gotta deal with your sealing.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
hegan

Post by hegan »

worth buying or no?
sammer

Post by sammer »

hegan wrote:worth buying or no?
Wow... Your still looking for a vacuum pump?
That will work but at 1.5cfm's will take a while to evacuate your bag and will have a hard time keeping up to any leaks.
3cfm would be my minimum.
The one I'm using now is 5.5cfm still takes a few minutes to pull full vacuum.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
hegan

Post by hegan »

Well I was given one and it ran ok for a little while until it broke last week,
how about this one?