HELP?!? Haha, dye sublimation press...

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Brazen

HELP?!? Haha, dye sublimation press...

Post by Brazen »

Does anyone here have pics of one? I have a dye sub printer and CNC cut a flat deck so I could use my laminating press as a dye sub press. It's not a great setup (read SUCKS) so I'm going to build a standalone. Any one have pics or plans...it would be so awesome not to re-invent something that's been done too many times already. I'd be forever grateful, and there's always a beer (read 12) in the cooler for ya :). Thanks you giants!
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Okay, I guess I'm just impatient...I've designed one from the ground up. Thanks for the rousing round of indifference though dded, and you're still welcome anytime for beers :)
Last edited by Brazen on Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nfaust

Post by nfaust »

I'd be interested in hearing more about this. What are you using for your heating elements? Any idea what kind of pressure you'll need?
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

temps should be around 200°C. the required time and pressure depends on your materials (pressure is usually between 2-6 psi).

here's a good read on the topic: http://www.novasublimation.com.au/image ... nsTips.pdf
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Blossom has a video and I think folsom have published a few videos. Have you found a 'dye sublimation' forum?
nfaust

Post by nfaust »

T-ShirtForums.com has a Dye Sub forum, not necessarily specific to our materials, however.
endre

Post by endre »

i use vacuume as pressure, sandwiched between two 6mm alu sheets, makes about 5000kg of pressure in a second. (and it is safer than hydraulics)

you don't necessarily need 200 deg c. if u use a little longer time (like 2 min.) 160 is ok. (and enough if you are using nylon etc, pbt can take 200 fine, but 180 for a minute is ok)
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

nfaust wrote:I'd be interested in hearing more about this. What are you using for your heating elements? Any idea what kind of pressure you'll need?
a single 14x84" heating blanket from MEI , press pressure at approximately 20-40psi, temp range 300-350f, time TBD. As always, I've designed this press in what will probably be an overbuilt fashion. I'll post up pics when it's done next week, provided it's not a failure and hell, maybe even if it is :-)
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

These guys appear to be quite open to discuss the process http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/forum/index.php. They aren't working with our materials, but they can offer advice on printers, transfer paper, inks, general supplies, etc.

Endre - any chance of a few photos showing a few results? Do the clarity of result vary according to material used?
endre

Post by endre »

as long as the press is warm enough wothout melting plastic and pressure is high and quick, the results are perfect. graphics seem to get nicer than the actual print since all the little dots and clogged nozzle-stripes get smudged out without making a blurry image. i have no pics if my press on the computer, but i can get one later.
endre

Post by endre »

the two on the right are with pbt.

also pbt:

the skis in the last image have a blurred area and wrinkled topsheet in the back of left ski, this was a problem with my old press, the pressure system was not good enough, this was a mechanically operated press. After i made the vacuume press there has been no problems.
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

i use vacuume as pressure, sandwiched between two 6mm alu sheets, makes about 5000kg of pressure in a second. (and it is safer than hydraulics)

you don't necessarily need 200 deg c. if u use a little longer time (like 2 min.) 160 is ok. (and enough if you are using nylon etc, pbt can take 200 fine, but 180 for a minute is ok)
Endre, is your sandwich set up as follows: heat blanket/ alum/top sheet/alum/heat blanket. All surrounded by a vacuume set up? The heat blanket doesnt melt your vacuume bag?

Sweet graphics by the way!
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Wow - great graphics. Did you ever read 'The Destroyer' series? And is that a big ol 'E' at the end of the your skis :D

I've been flagging the last couple of weeks, but seeing this is a great boost!
endre

Post by endre »

COsurfer wrote:

Endre, is your sandwich set up as follows: heat blanket/ alum/top sheet/alum/heat blanket. All surrounded by a vacuume set up? The heat blanket doesnt melt your vacuume bag?

Sweet graphics by the way!
almost, you don't need the heat blanket on top. and the vacuum seal is a silicone sheet, expensive but worth it.

..the tipspacer was not intended to be an E, but i see it can be viewed that way. ;) didn't see that till now. (the toothroot pattern locks the spacers as you lay up)
brandt

Post by brandt »

Endre: What’s the story behind the Norrøna skis?
An adventure is the consequence of bad planing