ROUTER THREAD

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

ggardner90

Post by ggardner90 »

i have 2 routers 1 working. both are fix based. i had a VERY NICE craftsman router 1/2in collet 2.5+ hp fixed into my table saw. it bit the dust long before my cheap ryobi, which keeps running like a champ. i have profiled every core with it. the plunge base is a bit much for ski building cant really think of a time to use it. the router to replace the craftsman one will be a cheap one from harbor freight. buy the warranty and hope for the best. i would say stick with the basics. 1/2in collet and 2+ HP and spend the money on high quality router bits.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

I've read good reviews of "Triton" routers... they're not the best routers available but it looks like you get a great product for a "reasonable" price.

I have an old Porter Cable, fixed base, 1ish HP and it does the job. However I'm sometimes looking for something bigger that I would mount on a table... but I have some bigger tools to buy before (good table saw, 15in planer...)
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
EricW

Post by EricW »

My friend has a Triton and I consider that thing to be total crap. The plunge mechanism is awkward and it's more top heavy than Dolly Parton. I think that is a dangerous router.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

alright... I guess that's not gonna be on my shopping list then :p
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

So far I have really loved my Bosch 1617EVSPK so far. 1/4", 1/2" collets, variable speed and slow start. I grabbed it from Home Depot for $180. I still haven't needed to use the plunge base yet. I haven't really seen a need yet.
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVSPK-4 ... B00005RHPD
sammer

Post by sammer »

I bought a box like this when I started this venture.

'cept it came with plunge, fixed and D handle.
Put the fixed in the router table, the plunge I use all the time for base, cores etc. the D handle is still in the box, I guess I'll use it one day.
No problems so far, lots of power, I've made a lot of sawdust with this thing and it's still going strong.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
nfaust

Post by nfaust »

So how critical is it to have variable speed? I got a great deal on this Porter Cable 693LRPK, but it's fixed speed.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

nfaust wrote:So how critical is it to have variable speed? I got a great deal on this Porter Cable 693LRPK, but it's fixed speed.
IMO variable speed very important especially if you going to run large diameter bits. You can go two ways buy router with VS or buy speed controller separately, $20 in HF
sammer

Post by sammer »

Imagine how fast an 1-1/2" router bit would be traveling at 27,500rpm.
Yikes

Bit Diameter..............Maximum Speed
Up to 1 inch...............24,000 rpm
1 to 2 inches..............18,000 rpm
2 to 2-1/2 inches........16,000 rpm
2-1/2 to 3-1/2 inches..12,000 rpm

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
nfaust

Post by nfaust »

Thanks for the info, everyone.
MadRussian wrote:IMO variable speed very important especially if you going to run large diameter bits. You can go two ways buy router with VS or buy speed controller separately, $20 in HF
Any experience with the HF speed controller?
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

nfaust wrote:Thanks for the info, everyone.
MadRussian wrote:IMO variable speed very important especially if you going to run large diameter bits. You can go two ways buy router with VS or buy speed controller separately, $20 in HF
Any experience with the HF speed controller?
my DW-621 have speed controller build-in. Can't help you here.
you might want to read up this forum http://www.routerforums.com/. IMO best router related source of information