Cordura

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MontuckyMadman

Cordura

Post by MontuckyMadman »

so. these things are getting big.
Bigger than I planned.

I can make them with time.

I have a tough schedule this winter. Abroad for 1 month. Done. Working all the time and out of town a bunch, every other week till may.

The real problem is the pm system here is terrible and I can't get a handle on all the details.

Lets get details on dims and locations in this thread so I don't have to play the pm game.

When we hammer something out here and you can email me shipping details and I can do it.

What order do we have here? I need to determine a list of people who need these and a relative time frame for myself and others. I don't want to leave people on the high and dry but conversely I don't want to make these for people who wont use them asap and contribute to this testing and refining of a legitimate tool in this homebuild process.

This thread will be used as a tool to assign priority to the production of these systems and give updates accordingly.

Chrismp any word on functionality? Did I miss the updates?

Others with cordura I have sent I would love to here updates.

1. Shopvac you are on the top of the list pending pics/instructions on how to make these better and longer lasting.
Would you be able to make us 4 bags that are 36" long with a 44" circumference?
They will be more like 8 bags 18" and a 44" circumference. Much easier to sew.

How many skis did you make with the first iteration? 12 skis, 6 pairs?

2. Zeno what is your status? I have you next in line. Press good to go? Will ship to ÖSTERREICH.

3. HansHarris I think you are #3. Dims? 70" circumference? Damn that's huge. Sounds like just reinforcement rather than a true fabric press. Maybe over kill, dunno.

I know I am missing others that have fallen through the cracks. Sorry. Please post here. Let me know your status.
-Montucky
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

bags are working like a charm! no hint of ripping the fabric at 50psi!
sry for not updating the journal...we've been really busy the last few months and right now we're in a rush to build our third board (first one with your bags...printing out the graphics as i write this) to have it ready before leaving for france on friday :)

we'll do an in-depth write up including photos as soon as we find the time to press another one. today it's just too stressful to take proper pics.
originskis

Post by originskis »

haha ya its kinda huge. i built 2 wood "i-beams" that are a bunch of 2x4s and 2x3 bolted together with 2 2x6s on the top all rounded over with a router. it is more of a reinforcement now that i think about it. but i still want minimum deflection.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

first time the bags are used with a snowboard lying in the press. gotta say i love this kind of press...easy to use, sufficient pressure,... (i've already used a mongo-style press and it was a lot more hustle loading the press.

THANK YOU MONTUCKY!!!
shopvac

Post by shopvac »

Another huge thanks to montucky. You are totally correct. The first set of bags, which can be seen below in the photo used two bags - 36" long by 44" circumference, made 12 skis (6 pairs). We pressed a single ski anywhere from 30-52psi with them and it always did a great job. These bags were the first iteration and it sounds like the sewing technique (parachute stitch) will make them even more robust. The ones we had were double wrapped as well.

I think one small problem with the first iteration could have been that the one bag that eventually ripped might have been slightly smaller in circumference at that point and therefore could have been taking on more of the load. This is just speculation. We are super thankful for everything Montucky has done for us. We can post any photos of the press of the bags. I am super curious to see the final product from Chrismp and others.

I think sewing up 4 shorter bags will be a good idea. I would imagine it will be easier to sew for Montucky and it will also be easier to slide over our press.

here is a picture of the press in case folks haven't seen what we are using:
nate

Post by nate »

Thanks montucky for my fabric. I got it sewed at a local upholstery shop and they did a really sweet job. They put webbing around the ends for strength and to stop fraying, and made a super bomber seam using some extra scraps of the cordura for reinforcement. Works great, pressed at 45 psi with no trouble at all.

Craig

Post by Craig »

As you request I'm skipping the PM game. I don't know if this applies to requests for these press systems, but here goes anyway. Everything following this sentence assumes that you are still taking requests for these, regardless of how long the line is.
Long story short, there is a giant metal truss press sitting in upstate New York I'd expected to use, but I currently live in Seattle with no place for anything permanent. The Cordura fabric you're sending looks pretty awesome and sounds like my best bet for building here.

Specs:

Timeframe - Are you looking at March/April/May/Summer/Fall? Is end of February in the cards? I have everything needed to press right now, but I'm waiting for some spare time from work (and, as is probably insinuated, a press). If usage for evaluation purposes is a factor, I plan on building a minimum of 10 pairs in the next year on this press.

Dimensions - single ski press. Whatever is logical/possible for you to send, I could alter my molds to fit. My molds as they stand are 7-8 inches wide (and I expect them to stay somewhat near this range), depth has lots of flexibility. If you want to try a size for a single ski press, I'll be a guinea pig. Or if there are any specific types of sewing/reinforcements you'd hoped to see tried out, let me know.

Feel free to post back or PM me.

cheers
craig
NeilG

Post by NeilG »

Montucky, adding a new request for cordura.

My press is 6ft 3in long and I would need cordura bags with a circumference of 53in. Would you make it in two or three sections?

Also, if email is easier, check your PM's for contact info.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Neil. I would make them in 4 sections.
I would make them in 4 sections, ready when you are.
You are one that I forgot about when I deleated all my messages.

Craig I can do them maybe by the end of feb.
Total overall circumference?
NeilG

Post by NeilG »

Sounds good!
I pm'ed you my email address so if get me yours I'll give you a shipping address and we can work out $$$.

I could use them as soon as I get them, but no rush.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Montucky, I just sent a PM with contact info and specs (44" circum. should do the trick for a single ski press? I know this depends on molds, just checking that I'm not way off base). Let me know price, when you have a chance.

Thanks!
smithrb

Post by smithrb »

Not to put Montucky out but has anyone looked at using lifting slings as an alternative to codura sleeves.

Lots of styles of slings out there with different webbing widths and sling diameter.

These things are used for hoisting and rigging. Can support serious loads.

Try looking at companies like Unirope and LKGoodwin.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

already been discussed. we came to the conclusion that the slings would cut into the press frame at higher pressures, plus it would make it harder to get even pressure.
still, if i remember right someone on here has tried it already.
Craig

Post by Craig »

found a good fabric source in Seattle.... I also found a fabric they think is stronger than cordura (though they don't have specs). I can relay info if anyone is interested, but I'd have to find out its generic name.

Now the trick is getting it stiched
nate

Post by nate »

Getting it stitched might be easier than you guess. I took my material to a local apolstery shop and they did a really bomber job for like $30. They even hemmed the edge with webbing for extra strength.