Side Wall "Insert" Router Bit

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

I couldn't beat the $50 price for a brand new DeWalt trim router on eBay, or I would have gone with a tilting base PC.

I have 3 hardwood wedges that I can screw onto the base, they have scrap base material glued to them and slide smoothly. I'm all for having the right tools, but $175 for a bit that does 1 thing is ridiculous...
metsrule008

Post by metsrule008 »

doughboyshredder wrote:
metsrule008 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong
you are wrong
THANKS lol!!!!
heliski989

Post by heliski989 »

To everyone using a braised bit with a trimmer: I am just curious, but how many skis can you trim with that tool before you have to sharpen or replace it? in my experience you can trim 25 or so sidewalls, so 6 pair of skis or 12 snowboards. if you replace this tool at a cost of $25/ea that puts your cost at $200/48 pair of skis. If you were to use the insert bit you would have your $175 up front plus 7 inserts @$3/ea. so... $196/48 pair

Like i said, This is not for some one who is building 1 or 2 pair. for that the trimmer works great!
heliski989

Latest markups

Post by heliski989 »

We got it changed to a 3 cutter design. Here are the final markups.

ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Here are the promised pics :

A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

heliski989 wrote:To everyone using a braised bit with a trimmer: I am just curious, but how many skis can you trim with that tool before you have to sharpen or replace it? in my experience you can trim 25 or so sidewalls, so 6 pair of skis or 12 snowboards. if you replace this tool at a cost of $25/ea that puts your cost at $200/48 pair of skis. If you were to use the insert bit you would have your $175 up front plus 7 inserts @$3/ea. so... $196/48 pair

Like i said, This is not for some one who is building 1 or 2 pair. for that the trimmer works great!
If you want to save on bits, just buy a stock straight trim bit with inserts and a top bearing.

:)

Don't get me wrong, a custom router bit is cool and all. I'm just unconvinced that you have to go quite that far.
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

ben_mtl wrote:Here are the promised pics :
Nice work.
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
heliski989

Post by heliski989 »

Don't get me wrong, a custom router bit is cool and all. I'm just unconvinced that you have to go quite that far.
We dont have to go this far. It is how far we are willing to go to have an A+ product though.

Just like no one on this site has to build their own skis... Every shop in the country has something that would work for you, but as we all know... There not perfect for you.

Hence custom skis. Hence custom tooling.

Im not trying to tell anyone how to build their sticks, just giving people a chance to get a great tool that otherwise may not be available to them. If we can get a larger order than 2 of these it will help out everyone.
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

Heliski989, I think you may have missed my point. I'm not trying to say you shouldn't use a great bit and get the best sidewall finish you can. I'm suggesting you can get exactly what you want, cheaper and more versatile, right now. I think you can anyway… I might be wrong. Check it out and see for yourself:

http://www.amanatool.com/bits-fv/rc-1230.html

Amana RC-1230, $91.76 from multiple online sources. Shop-built wedge base for your router, as shown by ben_mtl, pretty much free, and you can make a few for different sidewall angles if you’re so inclined. And if that bit fails and you’re in a pinch to finish a few sticks for some customers, you can run down to Home Depot and pickup a drop-in replacement on the cheap to get you by, and the rest of your tooling remains unchanged.

Again, happy to find I’ve added something up wrong here.

Good luck!
KevyWevy

Post by KevyWevy »

ben_mtl

how did you end up cutting the wedge out? what degree is it?
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

a piece of 2x6 through the table saw, put the blade at an angle (I don't know the angle, I went by comparing to last year skis)... 2 holes for screwing to the router base... DONE
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
falls

Post by falls »

I like it ben.
I had the same idea all on my own before I read this thread, honest!