Thermocouple question

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

falls

Post by falls »

OK. thanks for that. I clearly have a lot to learn about the thermocouples and PIDs.

Sorry I am being a bit slow, but in the above picture are the exposed ends on the 5SRTC thermocouple what measure the temperature?
What are the ends of the wire like that come off it.
You can tell I haven't ever seen a TC in real life!
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

what you see is what you get.

The heat sensing part of the wire is the very end of the wire on those tc's. There are also some that have ring terminals, probes, etc...

The bare wire works real well for boards as it's so thin, it doesn't make an indentation.
falls

Post by falls »

oh ok. So you have a female connector tojoin to the 2 prongs on the yellow coupler of the TC. This female coupler then has 2 wires coming out the other side that are screwed to the back of your PID?
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

falls wrote:oh ok. So you have a female connector tojoin to the 2 prongs on the yellow coupler of the TC. This female coupler then has 2 wires coming out the other side that are screwed to the back of your PID?
Yeah that's how these from omega are. A lot of tc's just have wires, and no quick disconnect plug.

The female part of the plug is only a couple bucks though and does not have wires attached. You have to do that yourself. It has two screw terminals.
falls

Post by falls »

thanks for the information. I get it now.
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

Some pics that might help. Part #'s here: http://www.happymonkeysnowboards.com/Mo ... rmocouples

Last edited by Head Monkey on Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
falls

Post by falls »

Thanks mike
where do you place the TC probe in your layup. Between the blanket and cassette like doughboy?
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

falls wrote:Thanks mike
where do you place the TC probe in your layup. Between the blanket and cassette like doughboy?
Yes between the blanket and the cassette, dead center of the board.
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
falls

Post by falls »

and no indentation on base of board (probably obviously not as otherwise you wouldn't do it like that)?
how thick aluminium are you using in your lower cassete layer?
thanks
nick

Post by nick »

yeah, I'm trying to find out where I can get an aluminum sheet like that...i got all of my metal from a local scrap yard. But they dont have anything like that.
falls

Post by falls »

Aluminium isn't hard to get. Any commerical metal yard should be able to get it in many different thicknesses. Usually 4'x8' sheets. To get it easily you have to pay the going rate though and aluminium is relatively expensive. They should be able to cut it on their guillotine for you too in the shapes you want it. You can also try aviation businesses as they use a lot of sheet aluminium and might be able to help you out. Only thing is their aluminium tends to be more expensive in the first place than run of the mill stuff, but if they have some big "offcuts" they might be a help (although 2m by 40cm for a cassette is a big "offcut"!!). The trouble with finding aluminium at a scrap metal place is that it might be dented/scratched and for your casette you really want flawless surfaces.
nick

Post by nick »

yeah thats what im thinking. This yard im getting all my stuff at is huge, but they dont deal with that kinda aluminum. its all outside and it would have dents in it even if they did have it probably.
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

falls wrote:and no indentation on base of board (probably obviously not as otherwise you wouldn't do it like that)?
No.
falls wrote:how thick aluminium are you using in your lower cassete layer?
thanks
0.032". http://www.happymonkeysnowboards.com/Mo ... nstruction
Last edited by Head Monkey on Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nick

Post by nick »

ok, so to get it right... you have the board/ski then on top you put the aluminum, then the thermocouple on top of that, then heat blanket, cat track etc? correct? those kind of thermocouples dont look like they would read correctly due to the fact of not laying flat. the 2 prongs would sit between the aluminum and heat blanket, hopefully not leaving an indentation in the board through the aluminum but doesnt look like it would get an accurate reading.
nick

Post by nick »

but from the pictures im confused if that side plugs into something, but i dont have anything for that to plug into. and then the wires also obviously wrap around the screws of the PID's.