Vienna Trip

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skimann20

Vienna Trip

Post by skimann20 »

Hey Gang,
I'm traveling to Vienna/Orth Austria in mid Feb and I was thinking about building in a day to go skiing. Any suggestions? I've never been skiing out there so any and all suggestions would be helpful! just thinking about bringing boots for this trip. don't want to deal with trasporitng skis.
~Brad
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

Is that Orth on the Donnau?
It's a pretty flat part of Austria there.. no idea where the closest skiing would be.
I assume you are flying to Vienna. what do you have for transport / time?
Nearly all ski areas have rental with some relatively good quality skis.
If you want to bring your boots and just pick up skis, it might be easier for travelling, and when I have rented skis / boots, I have Hated the boots, as I am used to a very stiff race boot.
Where I normally ski in Austria is about 3 hours from Vienna.
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

If its good. I could see renting a car and doing a 3hr trip to go ski. I lived in Denver back in the day and it was always a 3-5hr trip with ski traffic. ;-) So feel free to suggest some montains that are 3hrs away.
~Brad
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

In Lower Austria you dont have so good ski, theres Stuhleck or Hochkar, but dont expect too much.

If you want to find something nicer you should look towards west (Salzburg, Oberösterreich). Maybe chrismp chimes in to recommend some spots.
Tom