READ THE FORUM AND STOP ASKING THE SAME OLD QUESTIONS!!!!

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

sammer

READ THE FORUM AND STOP ASKING THE SAME OLD QUESTIONS!!!!

Post by sammer »

You know I'm not really an asshole but...
I'm getting so tired of the "what should I do"... threads on SB
It's getting old and when I see the same old questions pop up week after week I just want to snap. Most times I'm patient and will answer civilly, but sometimes I've just had enough of the hand holding.
More and more i see posts that are just stupid questions from somebody who wants someone to hold their hand thru the whole process. Kudos to twizz, he just seems to go with the flow, and maybe i should just ignore them but...

Skibuilders website has gotten most of where we are today and I'm thankful for the resource. Before I even made my first material order I read every post. I spent weeks reading everything, then just did it.
Win or lose I had to try it, and had enough knowledge and smarts to make it work. When it did go south and problems occurred I reread it all again. I couldn't imagine asking for help.
Most of you guys, I think, know what I'm saying. So often these days you see the stupid questions, what should I do to make this or that...

I don't have a problem if someone has a question after they have tried. Brittle epoxy... Ya it's brittle when it's not in the matrix etc...
But when the kid the other day asks for the millionth time how much camber will he lose, I just gotta snap. How the dded will we know! There are so many variables, What I lose and what you lose are not the same and this has been documented over and over. Top heat, bottom heat, no heat, room temp, symmetrical layup?
Once in a while I just have to snap. Hope I didn't piss off anyone here, I could care less if I pissed off the kid. Maybe he'll read the forum and find that there is no answer.

Bottom line...
This is a very valuable resource, but the more asinine posts there are, the harder it is for everyone.
When I started there were a few thousand posts and it took a while, (quite a while) to get thru them all. Now there are more than 4 times the posts and it's harder than ever to get thru them all.

Please use Google to search and then, even if it's an old thread, if it's relevant to your question revive it. Or if you have a question that hasn't been asked start a new thread and ask away.
There is so much information on this site, all the answers are probably there... You are not re-inventing the wheel, search and search again. Google is your friend.

PS...If you are reinventing the wheel I want in on the ground floor!

Respectfully,

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Dimitar

Re: READ THE FORUM AND STOP ASKING THE SAME OLD QUESTIONS!!!

Post by Dimitar »

sammer wrote: When I started there were a few thousand posts and it took a while, (quite a while) to get thru them all. Now there are more than 4 times the posts and it's harder than ever to get thru them all.
This site is really fast growing. The more the posts, the bigger the mess...

It took me 4-5 months to read all the posts. You must have huge patience, because 60-70% of the posts are just bla-bla and it is easy to get bored.

The search tool is not very user-friendly. It does not work very well if you want to find something specific.

So Sam, don`t be so angry. Just don`t answer to those "stupid" questions. ;)

Cheers
Dimitar
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Just a hint: it's way easier to use google to search the forum and get relevant results. Just type in your keywords and add "site:skibuilders.com" (e.g. "camber lose site:skibuilders.com"). This will restrict the search to skibuilders.com and yield way better results than the internal forum search function.
sammer

Re: READ THE FORUM AND STOP ASKING THE SAME OLD QUESTIONS!!!

Post by sammer »

Balkan wrote:
This site is really fast growing. The more the posts, the bigger the mess...

It took me 4-5 months to read all the posts. You must have huge patience, because 60-70% of the posts are just bla-bla and it is easy to get bored.

The search tool is not very user-friendly. It does not work very well if you want to find something specific.

So Sam, don`t be so angry. Just don`t answer to those "stupid" questions. ;)

Cheers
Dimitar
Dimitar...
This is exactly my point, there is so much information buried in the clutter that it makes it very difficult to find the answers you are looking for.
Google search will help a lot. But so will not adding to the clutter if you don't have to.
I'm glad you took the time to read thru it, and yes there is a lot of bla,bla,bla.
What riles me is that the same questions come up again and again. If everyone ignores them then your search will turn up the question but finding the solution may be 3 pages into Google.

All my long winded rant was really saying is...
Read thru the site and if you have a question use Google to search. You will find the answer!

Thanks Chris for the Google tutorial, I made the assumption that Google site search was pretty common knowledge.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Sounds like the best option when you have a question to just pm sammer. Ha.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

Someone give Montuckymadman a medal.
Doug
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

MontuckyMadman wrote:Sounds like the best option when you have a question to just pm sammer. Ha.
HAHAHA yeah and then copy and paste the response on here. Might be fun reading.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I feel like I missed the party
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

One point that can cause people to ask a lot of questions rather than just trying something and seeing if it works is the cost of materials.
Not everybody here has easy access to materials and therefore freight costs really add up. I know for myself a snowboard costs over $220 just in materials and takes a couple of weeks for the base, edges, inserts and VDS to come from the U.S. If I order enough for 10 or more I can get material costs down to about $170 - $180.

Obviously some of the questions can easily be answered by some simple research on here or other sites but $200 is a lot for some people to just waste on a trial board or skis.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Wasting money is almost a right of passage in this hobby. When I built my very first pair (which turned out horrible), I was doing it to try to save money because I couldn't afford the powder skis I wanted at the time. Boy was I in for a lesson... It took me probably 4-5 pairs before my skis got really good, all of those pairs only got a few handfuls of days on them before they were retired. Not wasted money, but... still a lot of money!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

It's only wasting money when the satisfaction factor is below 50% ;)
The first skis I made were extremely stiff but my reaction when I took them out of the press was, "Holy Shit they look like skis!!"

I could have easily bought a very nice pair of skis (maybe 2 pair) for what it cost to make the first ones. The satisfaction factor for a short period of time was 100%..... Until I made the next pair, then the next pair.....
Last edited by skidesmond on Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

"excuse me, sir, you cant have that board in the lodge with you"

"i'm sorry, miss, this board does not leave my hands, its worth $10,000.00"
Doug
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

gav wa wrote:One point that can cause people to ask a lot of questions rather than just trying something and seeing if it works is the cost of materials.
Not everybody here has easy access to materials and therefore freight costs really add up. I know for myself a snowboard costs over $220 just in materials and takes a couple of weeks for the base, edges, inserts and VDS to come from the U.S. If I order enough for 10 or more I can get material costs down to about $170 - $180.

Obviously some of the questions can easily be answered by some simple research on here or other sites but $200 is a lot for some people to just waste on a trial board or skis.
making skis or snowboard at least for the first pair it's not about cost, unless someone have woodworking shop already set up,even then probably additional cost involved.
Don't know about snowboards decent pair skis can be bought for a couple hundred dollars and approach to ski building only from cost perspective is wrong. I'm not saying go out and buy most expensive tools and materials. If beginner have no tools couple hundred doesn't get you far..... well even couple thousands might not be enough if not being careful with spending.... It took me long time to buy all needed tools from Craigslist and eBay for decent price. If not for that I wouldn't be even starting because initial cost is way too high if by all tools at the retail price.
In the beginning amount information is overwhelming and probably people want somebody to get them through, tell them what to do, holds there hands. Nothing wrong with asking. imo wrong to answer over and over again.
sometimes search criteria bring in too many results. I see if asking about help to narrow search..... Then again if the person take time to read ENTIRE board he shouldn't be asking.
IMO is enough information here to build snowboard/skis without asking a single question
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

I think it's time to resurrect this thread. Recently looks like something change. When same question asked AGAIN instead of politely or not so suggested to read the forum nowadays is opposite. Where old MM when you need one lol
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

MadRussian wrote: Where old MM when you need one lol
Meh. I gave up.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.