Ben Nevis TR 14 june 07

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Idris

Ben Nevis TR 14 june 07

Post by Idris »

420 miles form home (North Wales at the moment) we set off at a lazy 10.30 am to climb Britain’s highest mountain via the tourist route in search of some snow to ski on.

On our way up it was clear until we got to the last few hundred feet or so, when the weather closed in something rotten. I’m stood with my arms wide apart to avoid being blown over. With skis on my back standing would not be easy without poles.

There were a few left over bits of cornice just below the summit. None of these looked remotely stable and have a 700m drop beneath them. So we opted for the largest non overhanging snowpatch. Long enough for 20 or so turns.

I was skiing on my Basics. Similar to PMGear Bro Models or BD Verdicts.

The skis behaved themselves as did the weather once we descended below the summit plateau.

bootpacking back up for another go

Mel had carried up her boots to have a go, she took a turn with the skis on her back on the way up also.

Back at the campsite with Ben Nevis in the background after over 4000ft of knee bashing decent.

RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

awesome! And what a view too!

What was the conditions like? I can only imagine near ice this late
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
Idris

Post by Idris »

RoboGeek wrote:awesome! And what a view too!

What was the conditions like? I can only imagine near ice this late
Soft spring snow, there were suncups to see but not to feel as you skied because they were shallow and soft. A couple of hours earlier and there would have been hard surface. It won't be there much longer as it's not high enough to freeze often at this time of year.