November 21, 2004; Mnt. Baker Resort, WA

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bigKam
Site Admin

November 21, 2004; Mnt. Baker Resort, WA

Post by bigKam »

it was opening weekend at Mnt. Baker resort and i decided to take my first pair of homemade skis for a test ride. the skis are:

my cousin Kam and i made them back in late October and the dimensions are roughly:
length : 177cm; tip/waist/tail: 128mm/105mm/118mm

when Allyson and i arrived around 9:30 am at the parking lot of Mnt. Baker, we were greeted by an overcast sky. a handful of lifts were open with about 8" of new snow on the ground.

for the skis, cousin Kam and i used a sandwiched maple core, with a linear symmetric taper from the cord center, 8mm at the cord center and 2mm tip/tail. we used two layers of 22oz. triaxial braided fiberglass and some dampening materials along the edges. the sidewalls were made out of epoxy resin. the skis have binding inserts for the G3 binding pattern.

i mounted a set of Black Diamond O3 bindings for the test. i had never been on O3 bindings and immediately i noticed the difference in stiffness compared to the G3 targas i have been skiing on. but overall, the skis performed well, except for the fact that the tails were a bit soft. because of the softness, i found that the skis performed well in soft snow, but they were too soft to hold a good edge on hardpack or icy terrain. in my opinion, they skied better alpine style and i was able to get them to run, but they felt somewhat uncomfortable in a tele turn. i think the core needs to be thicker, say between 9-11mm at cord-center.

after a couple jumps landing switch, the tails bent slightly. but i skied them the entire day and by the end, i started to get use to the way they skied. being one of the first home-made skis that i've tested, i was pleasantly surprised by their performance. based on this experience, the next batch will definitely be an improvement.

-kam k

Post by guest »

nice looking skis, good job!