Spat-u-lette

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Idris

Spat-u-lette

Post by Idris »

These started out as a complete joke and ended being quite an involved project.

The idea was to take an old 170 powder ski (atomic powder plus), rip off the edges, bend them into reverse camber to make a short spatula type ski for a freind.

Taking off the base above the edge was thge toughest part. These skis are the toughest I've ever met, much stronger than a Volkl Explosive. They have a lot of metal and fiberglass above and below the core, extr wide edges with holes rather than serrations on the inner lip.

With the edges removed it was qite easy using a belt grinder to re shape them. I ground a notch in the side of the base and re-attached the edges with epoxy and brass screws, then base welded over the whole mess.

I clamped the skis in reverse camber for several days, heating them when I was around with an electric heater.

Bending these monsters didn't realy work, I got a tiny bit of revesrs camber.

They skied great on soft snow, but were a twichy nightmare on anything hard. They proved to be impervious to rocks and other obsticals. My home replaced edges showed no sighs of damage dispite concerted efforts to blunten them on rocks to reduce the twitchiness

I painted them up for a laugh, they proved quite amusing.

Eventualy in an effort to get more reverse camber and stop them catching. I cut slots in the topsheet, bend them again. While clamped I epoxied and screwed plates over the slots to hold them together. They now look like Frankenstines monster but they ride much better for it!
*ARMADA*

Post by *ARMADA* »

sweet
J I B T H E S H I T
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

very creative, and i'm glad they worked. thanks for sharing your work.