Nov 22, Alpental, WA

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

kelvin
Site Admin

Nov 22, Alpental, WA

Post by kelvin »

Chris, Daniel and I set out for an early morning dawn patrol at the closed Alpental ski area. 8" of fresh light snow added to the excitement of the first test of the Deorbit Burn foam core skis and the 7tm power tour bindings. Immediately, I noticed the skis are quite light even with the heavy 7tms compared to my other skis. The overall weight with bindings doesn't feel that much different than the Bitchin' Camaro's with Hammerhead bindings, but these skis felt much lighter on foot, probably because of the low swing weight. The skis and the power tour bindings made skinning much easier. At first, I was a bit skeptical of the new tour type telemark bindings, but now I'm a believer. It makes skinning more efficient and breaking trail much easier. Unfortunately, I'm still a slug skinning though.

Once at the midpoint of the mountain, the sun started to rise and the clouds parted; time to turn around and head back down. 1st turn-ok, 2nd turn-rrriiip. Oh oh. It sounded like velcro ripping, but looking down at my right ski, the entire top delaminated from tip to tail.

I tried to duct tape it back together, just to get back to the car. It took about 1 turn to rip the duct tape off and soon after the left ski delaminated the same way as the right ski.

Crap. 1000 vf of fresh snow on a bluebird day, and I have to post hole my way down to the car.

A few of notes about the breakage:
1.) A binding plate would have helped and maybe minimize the damage.
2.) The foam bond doesn't seem all that strong. If you look at the above image, there is a thin (~.3mm) layer of foam that separated from the rest of the core. This is as far as the epoxy penetrated and it sheared right at that junction.
3.) The ski held together at the tips and tail because of the tip and tail spacers.

I guess it's back to the drawing board. Not much to do now but to practice your archery.
burny

Post by burny »

foam is for shaving :D

sad to see the project didn't work ... maybe a binding plate really is a solution.
tonyt

Post by tonyt »

burny wrote:foam is for shaving :D
and wood is for carving
burny

Post by burny »

I rethought about it ... maybe, as salomon is the only manufacturer still really producing foamcore skis, the solution is a cap construction to keep it all together. Propably the core enclosed in a glasfiber tube - torsion box like. combined with a some kind of binding plate to keep the screws from ripping out. k2 uses some kind of reinforced glas-sheet under the bindings to prevent the screws from ripping out ...

at that point: apologies for my bad english ... it's been quite a while i've been to a native english speaking country ...
G-man

Post by G-man »

Hey Kelvin,

Well, bummer.

It looks like the top glass layer didn't bond too well to the UHMW side walls... seems like a better bond in that area would have maybe delayed the failure for at least a few more turns (not a criticism, just an observation... I still can't get a consistently good surface treatment myself). I can see, though, that the inherent lack if integrity in the foam structure itself would be an overall weak link. Inserts with a bit of appropriately placed reinforcement might help reduce the tendency of the binding screws to pull the top sheet away from the core. Wider sidewalls would increase the top glass layer/sidewall bond area, increasing overall bond strength (much as the tip and tail spacers did)... but more material in the sidewalls adds weight, defeating the purpose of using the foam. Seems like a cap construction with a binding reinforcement would be a better fit for a foam core... might relieve some of the tension/peel forces that the top surface of a foam core experiences in a sandwich construction. Foam may just not be a good core choice with sandwich construction, although I could not have had that perspective without you building and testing your skis. Then again, with a little tweeking, you may get it to work just fine.

Beautiful skis, though. It looks like you did a great job building them. Thanks for sharing the lessons learned. Great archery pic... good on ya for rolling with the punches.

G-man
BigG

Post by BigG »

It is very interesting to read this.

Would the top layer have ripped of, if the binding hadn't come off?
I was thinking about adding a wooden 3mm plate to the core at the binding part.

Maybe there is also a better epoxy or adhesion to be used with pvc foam.
tonyt

Post by tonyt »

I have a suggestion for you Kelvin, in boatbuilding when you are trying to bond metal fittings to cored structure their is an effective method to distribute the loads as follows. Drill a large hole for each screw using a forstner bit right down to the bottom laminates and fill with thickened epoxy, then drill for your binding screws and glue the screws in while mounting the bindings. The large epoxy plug ties all of the structure together and produces a big glue line to keep the stresses low. I bet you could repress those skis if you can clean up the torn bond by sanding and reepoxying and then remounting the bindings. PVC foams are commonly glued with marine type epoxy and in sandwich construction the foam is the shear web. Do you think it sheared or was simply ripped off?

Another thing that I thought of, if you do decide to reglue them a very light layer of chopped strand mat is a resin rich layer to help with foam bonding. Keep your pressures low this time maybe 10psi or less so you don't squeeze out too much resin since you need it to fill gaps now.

Tony
davide

Post by davide »

Too bad, I was so sad when I broke my balsa skis while testing. But it can happen when approching the limits...

So, I do not think that the problem is coming form the binding. In DB and Goode foam/carbon skis they do not use sandwich construction: they put some vertical carbon stingers.
I suppose that the stingers are used to keep the top and bottom layer together and to increase stiffness. Foam is strong in compression, but not that much in tension and shearing (at least C70.75). That is the reason why I chosed balsa, because I did not want to make the vertical carbon stingers. In my case the top carbon layer failed because it was not strong enough.
I think that cap construction will not be better: probably only a torsion box can prevent this akind of accident. A torsion box can be made either by using sleeves (I did a test on a one meter long sample) or by wrapping the core in stardard glass or carbon tissue.
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

Davide took the words (post) right out of my mouth. I was goingt to recomend wood stringers, Just two. Right down the insert line. Composite stringers would be cool though. You could rip the core into 4-6 pieces like Davide's image shows & laminate it back together with glass & epoxy. Thanks for sharing Kelvin.
plywood

Post by plywood »

looks bad! :(

that`s why my slogan is:
go ply, ride wood - plywood skateboards :D

i think you definately had to reinforce the binding area. a friend of mine is an industrial designer, he also builds skateboards. there you have to mount screws through the deck too - he reinforced these areas with 3mm thick plywood and it seems to work quite well.
www.wefunk.de

he also made some sort of special speedboard, out of foam. for this one he got an ispo award (that`s quite a big sports exhibition in europe) if i remember right.

well, on his speeddeck he used also wood on the top. but i don`t know how thick it is. the black stripe at the bottom is some carbon-wood composite - so as you can see, he doesn`t use full foam.....and i think this is the way to success.
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

Foam is for shaving...wood is for carving. I like that. :)
Thanks for all the feedback. I haven't decided if I'm going to try to repress these or just build new ones. Most likely the latter.

My feeling is that the ski probably would have delaminated even with a binding plate. It probably would not have been so dramatic, but the bond between the foam and fiberglass is pretty weak. Before one ski completely ripped apart, there was about 4" still stuck toward the tail. I gave it a light tug, and it separated. The area by the tip and tail spacers are stuck quite well, I pulled pretty hard and it is still attached. I think after some flex cycles, the top would have pulled away from the core and it would lose all structural integrity.

The c70.75 is probably not the best choice, but I used it because it was readily available.

My next attempt will be a mix of wood and foam vertical lamination.

-kelvin
Alex

Post by Alex »

Interpreting the pictures and your description it seems to be more likely that the foam itself was overloaded by the shearing forces. If there has just happened a delamination there wouldn't be much foam left on the laminate. Another option might be that the bonding wasn't deep enough - did you paint the foam with epoxy before putting the laminate on it?

I wouldn't generally agree that foam isn't good in taking shearing forces compared to it's weight. It is widely for this purpose in building composites. Maybe you have to choose a denser foam for the middle of the ski. For the ski tips airex c70.75 works very well.

Here you can get some technical data about airex to compare with wood:

http://www.core-and-more.de/airex_c70.0.html

It's in german - Schubmodul is shear modulus, Schubfestigkeit is shearing strength.
BerkshireSki

Post by BerkshireSki »

I agree with Alex. From your pictures, it is not a result of poor bonding but rather the strength of the foam. This can be seen by the layer of foam still attached to the top. A high density foam (150 to 200) should perform much better. We will be trying this very soon.
hafte

Post by hafte »

Hi, I’m going to throw a little something else out here... well maybe a lot of something else. I’ve been debating on whether I should but, BAW, so here goes. This also might generate some more thought/discussion… I don’t know.

This is something I learned building surfboards and skateboards. Go the other way with the foam density. I have a couple of surfboards and a skate board that has 1 LB/cu.ft. EPS and XPS respectively as the core material. The idea/theory being that the core absorbs the shear movement instead of resisting shear movement, so the skins move across each other and the soft core lets it happen. To make this work on both items mentioned the rails are wrapped with glass from the top and the bottom. The connection of the top and bottom skins to the rails (rail stringers for surfboards and sidewalls for skis) is key to managing the flex of the boards and how well they will hold together in use.

For surfboards the bottom skin is 1/16” balsa while the top is 1/8” balsa, and the bottom skin floats between the rails so the structure will have better flex characteristics. The folks that make these types of surfboards found that the board was too stiff when the top and bottom skins were attached to the rails. I don’t think that would be an issue for skis. The top skin is thicker to resist the compression forces since the materials are weaker in that direction. For skis the overlap attachment to the sidewalls would keep the top from compressing off of the ski.

The core would need to be constructed in a couple of steps. Since the core is too flimsy to work with by itself it needs some support to be profiled. I’m thinking that bamboo would be the best solution for the skins. http://www.teragren.com/bamboo_veneer.aspx

Here is where I found out about this technique. This thread has all of the gory details to make this work.
http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.c ... 946#183391

This thread discusses more refinements to the technique.
http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.c ... st=3601026

There is a lot of stuff to read through, but the ideas are awesome. Bert has some very easy ideas to follow with some easy to make tools. He doesn’t give away all of the secrets, but gives you enough to figure out what is going on and how to develop the structure with what you have/know.

I made the skateboards first since the parts were small and cheap, so mistakes would not be too costly. It was my first time using the vacuum set up, so it made a good preflight into the surfboards. And I think that a vacuum setup would be the best/only way to build the core (EPS foam will distort/compress @> 8-9 in. HG). You could use a pneumatic press to do the rest… I think. The skins on the skateboard are bass wood 3/16” of the inch on the top and bottom.

Here are the basics of the structure.

Core top:
1/8” bamboo
10 oz plain weave E-glass or 10.5 unidirectional e-glass
1 lb EPS with bamboo or hard wood rails/sidewalls and binding mount plate.
10 oz. plain weave E-glass or 10.5 unidirectional e-glass
1/42” bamboo
Bottom

Ski construction top:
Top sheet
9 or 12 oz. biaxial e-glass
The core as described above.
9 or 12 oz. biaxial e-glass
Base w/edges
Bottom

The part that has me a bit puzzled is how to deal with the tips on a ski. In the case of the surfboards and the skateboards the ends are trimmed before the outer skin is attached and nose and tail block are installed to complete the shape. I’m not sure how the ski would hold up if the top and bottom skins were to converge and be glued together. That might add a lot of pop or return flex to the ski? Maybe trim them short and add a bit of solid wood or bamboo to the tips before the tip spacer material. Then match that to the core profile after.

I’m also still debating if the weight savings is worth the extensive process. Kind of goes away from the KISS principle, which is what I like about the home built skis.

Anyway have fun. Lots to look at and think over.

Hafte
Becker

Post by Becker »

I <3 wefunk skateboards they are some of the best ever.