Lightweight touring ski - bad snow test

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Idris

Lightweight touring ski - bad snow test

Post by Idris »

A summer morning testing ski mountaineering touring skis - these are very lightweight and are supposed to be transport rather than fun. The idea in yesterday mornings test was to try them when conventional wisdom says walking on crampons is better and faster.

The first part I have to walk due to the conditions

There is a fresh hole in the middle of the ridge

Skis on and the conditions and best bed described as awful

After a short stint on foot to check it was actually slower to walk it's back to more awful skiing

Uphill and they work surprisingly well just going straight along the normal track - wall to wall skins and skinny skis do grip rather well.
At this point I'm very glad I'm on skis not foot, any reduction in how much force I put on the ground is helpful when crossing such doggy snow bridges

When I finally make it up to Punta Helbronner, there is no problem with the skis, or the test - they are faster, quite a lot faster up and down than walking on crampons. It's the tourists, they are out literally a mile form the lift station in trainers and t shirts, even walking the dog. They completely ignore warnings form me and various mountain guides that we are out on a glacier full of Crevasses. Note to my left there is a guide teaching Crevasse rescue

A bigger stiffer plank would make the skiing easier but would be slower and more cumbersome uphill.

A little video of the morning

As far as this test goes they work. They are too heavy - 1000 grams, but a change in some of the materials should get that down to 700 - 750
They could do with being slightly rockerd and softer in the tip (not applicable today)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Thanks for the vid. That didn't look like much fun :)
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Those pics look amazing.
Idris

Post by Idris »

skidesmond wrote:Thanks for the vid. That didn't look like much fun :)
Would have been easier on a huge pair of freeride skis, but probably still not much fun, but that wasn't the point of the day.

Went back up to that part of the world today for some climbing, happy to see that last storm has filled everything in - time for some more skiing ;)