Livigno Free Heel Festival: Babacool and Rando

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

davide

Livigno Free Heel Festival: Babacool and Rando

Post by davide »

I had time to do some extensive testing on two pairs I made few weeks ago:

Babacool

97-100-95 mm, length 175 cm, weight: 2.8Kg. Medium/stiff flex (13-33-?), zero camber
Poplar/ash woodcore (Hess&co.) 3.5mm thick at tip and 13mm thick in the centre.
Reinforcement: bottom layer: fiberglass UD 460g/m2 and biax 300 g/m2; top layer: fiberglass UD 425g/m2

Maybe the best skis I have ever used: super funny in the powder and in the very wet spring snow. Even on hard piste are nice to ski. Apart from carving, they do everything else really well. They are also quite light, so I plan to use them for touring as well.
I had the feeling that a reverse sidecut skis, narrower then the Spatula, would be more versatile. Apparently I was right.

Rando
110-80-99 mm, length 178 cm, weight: 2.2Kg. Super soft flex (23-50-?), 10mm camber.
Ash woodcore (by Ludovic Lacroix) 3mm thick at tip and 11mm thick in the center.
Reinforcement: bottom layer: carbon UD 200g/m2 and biax (38.5°) 250 g/m2; top layer: carbon biax (45°) 250g/m2 only at tip and tail

They are extremely soft, so the pressure on the edges at the tips is low; nevertheless, they are nice to carve on piste, after I got used. Off piste they are good, and super light for touring. I was considering if it worth to add some carbon on top layer to make them stiffer: probably I will use them for the next few tours like this, then I will consider to do some modifications in summer.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

davide: nice skis! i'm glad they worked out well for you.
roland1599

Post by roland1599 »

What a amazing post