168 wide big a$$ board

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

COsurfer

168 wide big a$$ board

Post by COsurfer »

I thought I would try to build a "big guy" board. It ended up with the following specs: 168 length, 320 tip/tail and 267 waist, early rise tip/tail with camber in the middle, carbon fiber between the bindings. The board is a monster! I took it for a spin today at Vail. It is fast and smooth, not so good in the bumps. Great for groomers. A ski patroller stopped me to ask what kind of board it was. He was thought it was pretty cool it was home built. I also built a 151 for the smaller folks:
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Nice looking board. That's pretty close to the same size of most of the decks I've built. My main shape is a 166 with a 26.7 waist. Now with rockered tips. That rocker looks great btw, I take it you like that profile.
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

Sweet looking boards. Although I only snowboard a few times a year and know next to nothing about snowboard design, that camber profile looks fun.
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Nice looking board. That's pretty close to the same size of most of the decks I've built. My main shape is a 166 with a 26.7 waist. Now with rockered tips. That rocker looks great btw, I take it you like that profile.
Wow, you like a big board. Yes, I love the early rise tip/tail with camber design. I think it such a great ride. I have a bunch of people testing these boards this weekend so I will be interested to get their feedback. It seems like most people haven’t ridden this type of base layout. The trend right now seems to be rocker in the middle and I just don’t get why riders like that? Unless you are in powder it really is a weird feel to me.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

rocker in the middle? Cause it's cool. That's all I can think of, but I haven't tried a ns recurve, or c2 banana, so ????

166 is not a big board, imo. 170 is my daily driver. 166 is my mid length and 162 is my shorty.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

we do it for flex, so it can be beefy between feet and still flex enough for jibbing with triax
Doug